Good installer in southeast.

Holder Aviation at KPLR has done some good work for me and lots of others in the area. Works on anything from us up to turbine. When my HSI went Tango Uniform he replaced it, parts and labor, for <$1 AMU.

We are probably a little over 1 Mooney flight hour from KPXE.

• 2 weeks later...

Rob, I have had great luck over the years with Avionics West  @RYY. They have done a bunch of things to my toga and are about to install a G5. They are honest and reasonably priced.  Most significantly, I have not had a single glitch out of any of the work that they have done.  I have used Sarasota avionics for the Mooney , only because it has an Aspen and avionics West is not an Aspen dealer so they told me at the time that for proprietary reasons they couldn't get the  GTN 650 that I was installing in the Mooney to talk to the Aspen. I have no complaints about Sarasota avionics either, and had my install done at their Punta Gorda shop. I have not had any problems out of their work either. I chose Sarasota avionics because the previous owner had work done there as well, but ideally I would've had Avionics West do it because as I think everyone would agree it is best to have avionics work done as close to home as possible.

19 hours ago, Bravoman said:

Rob, I have had great luck over the years with Avionics West  @RYY. 

I know everyone has different experiences with different shops but I wouldn't let them work on my lawn mower.  They stuff I had to take out and rework when I upgraded my panel was shocking.  Live powered wires just cut and left hanging, four crimps on a 16 inch piece of wire to just name a few.

A client of mine had work done by both Gulf Coast and Central Florida Avionics.  It will end up have most of the wiring replaced due to crappy workmanship.

Clarence

• 1 month later...

Don the install an autopilot until the STC AMLs pan out.  :-)

I just got transponder quotes from most of the shops from PA to NC that are recommended - the best ones on the phone were Spark Chasers, Bay Avionics, Twin Oaks and Smart.  

Proximity to home can be important for follow up.  

One of the giant shops in FL did some work on my IAs M20C.  They sent sheet metal screws from mounting something directly through the fuselage skin behind the cowling :-( and "released" the plane in that state.  Not good.