Prop Imbalanced? WOW shaking.

WOW.  This would be terrifying!  I know the prop isn't imbalanced - its an A330.

This plane was clearly in major trouble but made it home safely.  What would cause that kind of shaking?!  See the video.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/25/asia/air-asia-flight-turns-back-technical-issue/index.html

The fan was still spinning at about the same RPM as the shakes. Just wind milling. Glad it all held together. Wow, 2hrs of that.

I hope they scrap the airplane, As I bet there are some serious cracks. Wonder if they were still pressurized? I didn't see any masks. They probably needed to stay high to make fuel. 

Scary! Air Asia! No thanks!

-Matt

You get to see how elastic and flexible aluminum is....

There are all kinds of specs for fan blades including erosion and how many can be missing.  Balance is key.

There is some armor to keep fan blades from departing the engine on the fuselage side...

one blade coming loose is going to make a Big Bang... how people describe it is going to vary a lot. It is also possible that one blade takes out a lot of other blades and engine parts if it gets ingested.

a good ride in rough air shakes the plane a lot more than this nice harmonic does.

People don't like natural turbulence.  Unnatural turbulence is probably even less appreciated...

I had the honor of riding in a DC10 when it threw engine parts on the T/O run.... some heavy breaking followed by taxiing back to the gate.

Gate agents are always confused when a planeload of people come off the plane asking a dozen questions each... There is probably some training that the gate agents didn't get...

The DC10 needed a new tire to go with the new engine.  

After decades of travel, I have returned to the gate a few times.  The explanations are always interesting...

I have had the explanation of 'too much heat in the back engine' of a 727... a couple of hurried trips from the cockpit to the back of the plane don't inspire confidence...

The DC10 was 'we got a hole in one of the engines'... what's the spec for that?  Is there a maximum allowable hole for a big Turbo fan that the pilot can measure from the front seat?

It is always better to ask the passengers to pray before departure. Less ominous that way...  :)

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...  there are so many Plan Bs built into these planes and good procedures to follow...

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam

I think I've been on a commercial flight that had to cancel because of a puncture in the fuselage skin, a shutdown on a jetrstream 41, loss of deicing on another jetstream 41, and that's the stuff that I remember and/or know about.  All relatively minor occurrences.  I bet folks like gsrx who travel a lot have their own collection of aeronautical occurrences that are log folds greater.