Your hearing vs headset

nels

I know many on the forum think little about hearing loss simply because they have not noticed loss themselves. I have been aware of my own hearing loss recently as I've finally passed that threshold of realization. When I got back into flying four or five years ago I bought a set of Lightspeed state of the art noise canceling headsets thinking it was my best deterant for hearing loss. I think I was wrong. I've seemed to kept the low frequency hearing fairly well but have just about lost the high frequency range. It's pretty disheartening when you can no longer wake up in the morning and hear birds sing just outside your bedroom window. Someone mentioned in a previous post that they use foam ear plugs under their headset so I tried this the other day and was amazed at the improvement! I could hear the conversation way better, actually turned the volume down, and I assume the high frequencies were probably substantially blocked by the plugs while the low frequencies were blocked by the noise cancelling headset. I only wish I had taken this approach five years ago, maybe I'd still be able to hear birds sing in the AM. So, in my book, don't be lulled down the path thinking noise cancelling headsets give great all around hearing protection, I don't think they do. I'm not an audiologist but I think the best hearing protection might be a set of Clarity Aloft type with a secondary noise cancelling set on top of these. If nothing else just try the foam earplugs under your headset. Once your hearing is gone it doesn't just somehow come back. Take care of it while you can!

Edited by nels
  • Like 7

It surprises me that there isn't a headset manufacturer promoting hearing protection above all else. There's clearly a market for it.

But it often feels like all innovation in this area is "super duper lightweight comfort AND hearing protection," rather than "hearing protection, period."

I, for one, would buy a heavier or less comfortable headset if I knew it was providing better total noise reduction than another.

I actually own an aviation headset from many years ago that came with a set of foam earplugs in the box. The TNN rating on the box had a little asterisk that said something like "when used with the enclosed ear plugs," which I assume they didn't expect many people to use.

Glad I am  not the only one...tinnitus drowns out the birds most days.

I tried the foam plugs and much quieter with the Bose A20s. The sound of my voice with the plugs vs normal sideband was a little weird, but I can get used to that. Similar to halo/faro/clarity I would imagine.

I am going to get a set of the custom fit permanent earplugs made that has the speech frequency range pass filter in them. I need them for work anyways as my 21 year old Peltors don't do much now except keep my ears warm.

• Like 1