Where to send magnetos for service?

Htwjr

• 6 months later...
8 minutes ago, jonhop said:

Paul @kortopates, any recommendations for a SoCal shop" Mine is due in 75 hours... 

Thanks,

Jon

Yes, we have a very good option at Aero Accessories in Van Nuys. They're a repair station specializing in mags and electrical components. Both UPS & Fedex ground will get it there overnight. They do a full 500 hr/5Yr IRAN in 24 hrs of shop time at very good prices. Call them for details:

http://aeroacc-vny.com/

• Thanks 1

Nice pic, Jim.

That is the effect of ozone and heat on the plastic gear.  Since we are only seeing the surface, it is hard to tell how deep the aging effect is having... since crack propagation is a problem for plastic devices,  the surface effect can be really important....

It is really odd that they selected that material for the environment it is in...

Probably Best to toss the plastic gears each time the mag is opened.

It probably cost about a dollar to make the gear.  No idea how much they sell it for.

We have seen a few pictures of plastic magneto gears with broken teeth around here.

Best regards,

-a-

26 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Nice pic, Jim.

That is the effect of ozone and heat on the plastic gear.  Since we are only seeing the surface, it is hard to tell how deep the aging effect is having... since crack propagation is a problem for plastic devices,  the surface effect can be really important....

It is really odd that they selected that material for the environment it is in...

Probably Best to toss the plastic gears each time the mag is opened.

It probably cost about a dollar to make the gear.  No idea how much they sell it for.

We have seen a few pictures of plastic magneto gears with broken teeth around here.

Best regards,

-a-

I would be shocked if the production costs are that high. We run gear molds, from 1 to 4 cavities, in tiny 40-ton molding machines, typically ~15 second cycle time. The cost should be pennies for time and material, and whatever certification costs are should be well paid already. Some of our gear molds have been running since the late 1980s, they are pretty durable.

The new molds that I just had built last summer should run for a similar timeframe, with projected volumes up to half a million shots per year. At least our gears run in a less hostile environment, but their lifecycle is expected to be a couple of decades in service. Even at low aircraft volumes, the gear design hasn't changed in decades and all capital expenses have long been depreciated to zero.

Oh, yeah, magneto gears are pretty large (silver dollar or bigger), so stretch cycle time a few more seconds. Should still fit a 1 or 2 cavity mold into a 55 ton press, and make them for pennies apiece. The economies of scale in modern manufacturing are often surprising. They probably run 10,000 gears at a time and set them on a shelf until needed to preserve manufacturing efficiency. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

Amen, brother Anthony. Aaron"s IRAN was less than $1200, and he says my mag should be as good as new now.  I have a sinking feeling that all of that aging did not happen in the last 525 hours.  Even as a bonafide cheap bastard, I don't understand efforts to economize here. 

Admittedly, however, installation technique is equally as critical.  

Jim

The Bendix rotor gear is 90$ for a S1200. The D3000 should be similar. 

Slick 4300 series rotor is either 405$ or 350$.  Anyways the frequently burn and melt too. 

• Like 1

1) alternators in place of generators...

2) GPS in place of VOR...

3) Digital fuel floats and engine instruments...

4) Electronic ignition in place of a standard magneto...?

5) Weather graphics in the cockpit with updated weather info.

What’s next?  A fully modern life for an aged plane...!

Definitely would want to know how they separate the Ozone from the electronics in the new style electronic ignitions.  They probably don't generate ozone the way the old mags do... I would want to know, before spending a big chunk of change...

Best regards,

-a-

11 hours ago, Marauder said:

????? You are speaking in cryptic tongue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

SDRs are a method for 121/135 carriers and 145 repair stations to report failures of critical components.  Most of the requirements to report for 121/135 pertain to fire warning systems or other critical systems or structures that might prompt an engine shutdown or emergency action.  However, there’s a spot on the form where I believe any mechanic can submit (maybe Clarence, Jake or others can clarify).  The purpose is for the FAA to collect data about design and manufacturing process issues to detect trends, flag need for corrective actions, and presumably avoid NTSB reports.  It must also put a microscope on the repair station if one is filed - the mere mention of one (again I’m not sure if I could even file one as a 91 operator - might have required a call to the FSDO to clarify) promoted the repair station who sent me a dead mag from overhaul to jump through all sorts of hoops to fix the propblem and make it right.  However the spirit of the rule says to me that the FAA would probably want to know about QAAs dead mag if it’s a critical engine part (ie dual mag- but I’d wager any ignition system is a critical component) and it’s related to a process or design (seems that is the theme).  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, nosky2high said:
13 hours ago, carusoam said:

Definitely would want to know how they separate the Ozone from the electronics in the new style electronic ignitions.  They probably don't generate ozone the way the old mags do... I would want to know, before spending a big chunk of change...

Best regards,

-a-

Electronic ignition ozone risk, I'll let you know. The computer controller is inside the cabin, coil pack on the firewall, crankshaft location sensor in place of the magneto, new wiring harness and bottom plugs. Also replacing the problematic key switch with their modern ignition/starter switch panel. The shower of sparks box is no longer necessary as well. 

Pirep to follow. Install and test flight in a few weeks.

ah

Does the electronic ignition system have a mechanical distributor, or is it solid state?  I have to imagine it's solid state, so there shouldn't be any arcing or ozone production from mechanical contacts in the box, right?