Avidyne Jeppesen Subscription

Is it me or does Jeppesen have the worst web site in the world?

Trying to sign up for a subscription to NavData for a new IFD440.  The only option they have is for the 540, which I assume works for both.  Buuuuut, it crashes when I go to my cart.  Their support is around during Mountain Time.  Seems really weird for a global aviation company.  People in Japan have to order at 3:00 AM?

As far as I could tell, there was no option to buy through Avidyne.  Which also has a pretty cruddy web site.  I registered my units and noticed that their support website hasn't been updated since 2014.  Ugh.

So does the IFD540 subscription work for the 440 and is Jeppesen the only place to get it?

• Like 1

Jeppesen has the IFD440 listed here: http://jeppdirect.jeppesen.com/legal/charts/ads-avidyne.jsp#matrix and here http://jeppdirect.jeppesen.com/main/store/legal/flitepak/avidyne-ifd540/flitepak-plus-ifr.jsp but I don't have visibility into what the ordering side looks like so I can't be much help there.

Thanks for the feedback on our website, I will pass it along to the person that handles updating it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, markejackson02 said:

Is it me or does Jeppesen have the worst web site in the world?

Trying to sign up for a subscription to NavData for a new IFD440.  The only option they have is for the 540, which I assume works for both.  Buuuuut, it crashes when I go to my cart.  Their support is around during Mountain Time.  Seems really weird for a global aviation company.  People in Japan have to order at 3:00 AM?

As far as I could tell, there was no option to buy through Avidyne.  Which also has a pretty cruddy web site.  I registered my units and noticed that their support website hasn't been updated since 2014.  Ugh.

So does the IFD540 subscription work for the 440 and is Jeppesen the only place to get it?

yes their site leaves a lot to be desired.  Your best bet is to call them.

I did when I needed to upgrade my subscription to the while US vs the eastern half.

It lists in the "don't see your avionics listed" the IFD440 is not sold online you will have to do the live chat or call them. It might have to do with the 440 doesn't take the approach charts.

ee6d30e76abbdf8ce038887639dce593.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 years later...

I brought this up on Beechtalk recently but back circa March or April, Jeppesen updated their website only to make it worse than before!  You would think a data information company would have a better website than they offer.  Now I can’t even see what Garmin GNS or GTN subscriptions run.  Come on Jepp! Get it together!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NotarPilot said:

I brought this up on Beechtalk recently but back circa March or April, Jeppesen updated their website only to make it worse than before!  You would think a data information company would have a better website than they offer.  Now I can’t even see what Garmin GNS or GTN subscriptions run.  Come on Jepp! Get it together!

I had to call in to get an invoice straightened out and complained about the new web site. The person on the other end told me they redesigned their web site and FORGOT to include the shopping portion of it! Although I find it hard to believe they actually forgot, I would love to know the reasoning behind leaving it out.

And yes, it is as "user surly" as it ever was.

Back in the day...

1) The government knew how to collect huge amounts of important data.

2) Jeppesen knew how pilots wanted to use the data.

3) Jeppesen made a subscription process that delivered the data on easy/quick/methodical ways to absorb images, printed in a high tech sort of way...

4) and mailed out in a great 28day format...

5) on time compared to start and end dates for the data...

Today...

1) The paper has become... electronic...

2) The mail has become... electronic...

3) The clicks of notebook updates have become... clicks of the mouse...

4) The paper mail delivery has become... cell phone delivered and WiFi uploaded...

Tomorrow...

1) Same government data...

2) Delivered to your specific instrument panel hardware...

3) when you are ready to receive and upload it...

4) Merely minutes to complete and verify...

5) not whole rainy days sitting around at a flight school... hoping to give a groundschool lesson... (90s Jeppesen experience)

Jeppesen was essentially creating IP out of their formatting experience and delivering in a printed format that made sense to many...

The formatting experience has shifted to the hardware guys and Jeppesen seems to be less valued over time...

Another interesting format and IP guy... the people that put the blue dot on the approach plate... Seattle avionics?

If I want that important dot... I have to subscribe to Seattle Avionics...

One of these days... I am going to begrudgingly give up my WingX... and BK wingman services...

We can toss Jepp in the same pot...

PP thoughts only, not a data handling expert...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

I’m done with Jepp (for now anyway).  Garmin sells the entire US NAVDATA for my gns430w $60 cheaper than Jepp sells half the US.  I may have to go back if I upgrade the avionics, but I’m gonna give Garmins NAVDATA a shot.  That’s like 11 gallons of 100LL right there!