eBay avionics purchase

I either just got the deal of the week, or I'm about to be somehow scammed. "New" GNS-430W for $4,450. Red flags: Seller's eBay account is 4 months old, and his selling history to date has been 10 copies of "How to STOP SMOKING FOREVER!(eBook/PDF file)."

Mitigating (yellow?) flags: $4,450 is a great deal, but not an 'insanely great deal' for a "naked" 430W; the seller uses PayPal, which has some built-in protections.

Looks like I can get a tray and install kit for about $650. Another couple hundred bucks for the data card.

It's not a GTN-650, but it's half the price. Assuming I'm not somehow ripped off.

Best practices for ensuring a "no rip-off" situation? I've asked the seller for the serial number of the unit...

Edited by chrixxer

47 minutes ago, chrixxer said:

I either just got the deal of the week, or I'm about to be somehow scammed. "New" GNS-430W for $4,450. Red flags: Seller's eBay account is 4 months old, and his selling history to date has been 10 copies of "How to STOP SMOKING FOREVER!(eBook/PDF file)."

Mitigating (yellow?) flags: $4,450 is a great deal, but not an 'insanely great deal' for a "naked" 430W; the seller uses PayPal, which has some built-in protections.

Looks like I can get a tray and install kit for about $650. Another couple hundred bucks for the data card.

It's not a GTN-650, but it's half the price. Assuming I'm not somehow ripped off.

Best practices for ensuring a "no rip-off" situation? I've asked the seller for the serial number of the unit...

You're kidding right? 2500 under market price and it's from Indonesia and the most expensive thing he's ever sold is 99 cents and  he's never sold any avionics before and it's brand new and never been installed? Keep looking, you'll never see this one. Ebay will probably send you a message soon saying that the transaction has been canceled. Gullible buyers is what keeps people like this scamming.

Has plastic protector on face, totally free of scratches. This item is brand new, has not been powered on, has no warranty because over the warranty period. This is the unit only with the following description below. we offering a 14 day money back guarantee for this unit.  

I don't see the plastic protector in the pictures; details like this a good indicator that the pictures and description are copied from another add. I would be very very careful.

I was on the hunt for this magical deal for a GNS430W for a long time and ended up buying one from a guy who's Yelp reviews on Mooneyspace stated "He's very inflexible on pricing and insists on getting how much he asks for"  Everything worked out as promised and I was happy with the purchase. Was it the cheapest - NO -, but when I spend this kind of money I want to know who I am dealing with.   

• Like 1

Maybe he'll only take a wire transfer from western union! I wouldn't do it. Even if it was true, US CBP would hold it for at least month. Lol.

I was once almost had on a Zillow rental a block from the SMO airport. 26th and Pearl. Good communication during the process. Said to be $2600/month all good until they said they were on a trip and the keys would be sent once I wired the money. Turns out the little place ended up renting for $6500/mo!!!

At least the listing agent was glad I alerted her. I still felt pretty stupid!

-Matt

• Like 1

When I asked him to send a photo of the serial number plate with a sticky note showing the auction number, and raised the issue of the missing plastic screen protector, suddenly he went radio silent (so far). Also adding to the list o' red flags, a last minute bid retraction / cancellation ...

32 minutes ago, Alan Fox said:

Why don't you just buy one from me , with tray ,connectors, data cards ,antenna , manuals    7000.00

2 minutes ago, Godfather said:

I personally feel the $8k 530w from Alan is a better deal...huge fan of the 530w...

+1 I've bought stuff from Alan and no complaints... I've also sold stuff to him...

Get the 530W.

If it looks like a scam, smells like a scam...it is probably a scam.

+1 for buying something from @Alan Fox. He is a stand up guy and will stand behind anything that he sells. If you can get a 430W for under $6,750 than it is probably too good to be true. A used Non WAAS 430 still fetches about $4,500 FYI. 

+1 for Alan. His current 430W seems a little high compared to the deal on the 530W. I bought a 430W from him a few months ago - now I feel I should have waited.

However keep in mind for us West Coasters dealing with a guy from NJ is almost as scary as trading across the Pacific. After all reality is made in a Hollywood basement :-).   

Also remember that these used units are like used cars.  Some are true gems- later models with low miles and a recent trip to the factory for refurbishing.  Others are used and worn with a lot of miles. Also some packages include rack, backplate, connectors, and new antenna and others not so much.  This may explain the pricing differences you are seeing.   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bradp said:

Also remember that these used units are like used cars.  Some are true gems- later models with low miles and a recent trip to the factory for refurbishing.  Others are used and worn with a lot of miles.

This is a really good point. Almost all of the 430w or 530w units are priced within a tight range. The key is finding a late model low usage unit that will not need multiple trips to Garmin over the next decade. 

On 6/21/2017 at 5:14 PM, chrixxer said:

I ran into this during my early stage of searching for avionics upgrades...and nearly fell for it.

These units easily go for north of $6000.  I can guarantee this is a scam.  Caveat Emptor.

Steve

Yeah at this point I'm just toying with him. He "can't" send photos of the S/N or the unit with the plastic in place because it's all boxed up in Indonesia. Hey, it just so happens I'm in Jakarta (Grand Hyatt) for meetings this week... He opened a nonpayment thing on eBay but DGAF.

I like the 530W (Arrow I rent has one; the CDI+Moving Map screen is my favorite), but there's no room in my panel for one (an E). And if I was going to spend $7,700 for a 430W I'd just as soon spend $9,800 for a brand new with warranty GTN-650, since the install price will be the same regardless (and future upgrades, like the FS510, are a lot easier). Current tech vs 1990s 386s and DS displays. $2,500 delta is my squeal point.