Looking for someone around the northeast with Turbo and LOP experience

Hi! I'm at KXLL nearly everyday which should be a short hop for you. I'll let others attest to the fact that I'm very comfortable LOP and I'd be happy to help answer any questions you might have.

Dave

I actually will be going into Queen City quite often in the next few months with overnights. It's a super short hop form WBW.

I'd really love someone to actually walk me through the leaning process. I have an MVP50 engine monitor with lean find but still not sure I'm getting in quite right and I don't want to mess it up at a higher power setting.

32 minutes ago, M20kflyer99 said:

I'm not comfortable with getting to LOP and I'd like someone with more experience to show me how they do it. I'm in northeast PA for the time being and can fly to you. Plus it would be nice to meet another Mooney pilot.

Now there is a funny line to be said here. Give me a few. I will think of one. Should not have a problem with this request. :) 

Not that it will matter much, which K, what engine?

Edited by Mcstealth
  • Like 1

I actually will be going into Queen City quite often in the next few months with overnights. It's a super short hop form WBW.

I'd really love someone to actually walk me through the leaning process. I have an MVP50 engine monitor with lean find but still not sure I'm getting in quite right and I don't want to mess it up at a higher power setting.

I written a few posts on running the Bravo LOP, I think if you search for that you'll find them. I would love to hear your comments.

Dave
  • Like 1

@DVA has written some very interesting posts on the subject. As has @jlunseth. JL has a K...

I read this stuff like one day I might own a TN'd Mooney and it's stuff I need to know now.  :)

As far as the MVP goes... read up on the leaning procedure.  It probably has a Mode for LOP and a different Mode for ROP.  You will want to know the buttonolgy to set the proper Mode for the operation.... Don Kaye on the west coast has a Bravo with the MVP. Don's also a CFII with an expertise in Mooney landings...

I have a JPI, it is a complex process of push two buttons at once, then select the leaning Mode... complex meaning I can't remember the two buttons and follow the menu...

When leaning LOP it is important to know the last cylinder to peak.  ROP, the first cylinder to peak is the important one...

Doing It this way all cylinders will be LOP or ROP...

The curvy intake pipes of the Continental engine make LOP a more usable Mode of operation. To have success with the Bravo it takes extra skill...

Getting the expertise from somebody you know will keep your TIT in control.

Please share your learning experience. It should be interesting. There are so many variables interconnected with the Turbo and MP and time and phase of the mooney. :)

LOP done properly everything is fine.  No funny OWTs to be concerned with.

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam

Everyone talks about getting the fuel flows even, which is what GAMI's do and it is certainly important.  But more important, at least in my engine, is keeping the mags and plugs in good shape.  If they aren't, if spark is weak, then its hopeless and putting GAMI's in won't solve anything.  

My LOP setting is a different approach than many.  LOP in a normally aspirated means just dialing back the fuel flow, because MP is maxed out at whatever ambient pressure is.  In the turbo we have the ability to make the mixture leaner by increasing the amount of air in the fuel/air mixture, as well as by reducing the amount of fuel.  I takeoff at 36-37, full rich.  I climb full rich.  At cruise altitude, I pull the MP back slightly to, say, 35.  I reduce RPMs to 2450.  Then I do the "big pull" to get to the lean side, somewhere around 11 gph or in the high 10's.  Since MP and fuel flow are interlinked, this means that the MP has fallen in all likelihood.  So I adjust MP to 34", and fiddle with mixture to get to 11, and that is my setting.  34" MP, 2450 RPMs, 11 GPH.  Watch the TIT, I keep mine at or under 1600, and of course watch the CHT's, they should be cool.  The 231 airflow is not the best in the world, so you will have some variations in CHT between the cylinders.  My variation between highest and lowest is usually 85 dF.  This does not work for me above about 16k, the air is too thin and the temps start to get too high, so I go ROP.

Don't worry about the big pull, the engine isn't going to quit.  Just a smooth pull back from full rich until you feel the power reducing, then you are on the lean side.

PS I shoulda said, 34/2450/11 is a 70-71% power setting.  Power on the lean side in the 231 is 13.7 x fuel flow in GPH divided by total rated HP (210).

Edited by jlunseth
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the responses. I've seen the previous articles along with formulas and have them handy. This is just one of those things I'd like someone to demonstrate and talk through when doing it for the first time. Especially if they have experience with the particular engine and its quirks.

3 hours ago, jlunseth said:

But more important, at least in my engine, is keeping the mags and plugs in good shape.  If they aren't, if spark is weak, then its hopeless and putting GAMI's in won't solve anything.  

what are you looking for in terms of your mags, plugs, and wires? How often do you clean your plugs?

I have fine wires also.  They really seem to help.  Mags are mandatory at 500 hours.  By mandatory, I mean I automatically have them replaced or rebuilt at that point.  I do it because somewhere at or after that number you will get a mag test failure, invariably somewhere inconvenient, but it also helps LOP ops.  I have their function checked every year at annual, and if the engine starts running rough at LOP, that is the first place I look.  If the runup drop numbers start to reach limits (150 per mag, 50 difference between the two), then invariably the engine will also be starting to run a little rough at LOP.  Actually, the per mag drop number seems to be more important than the difference number as far as LOP smoothness is concerned.

@peevee I'm sure you know this, but the 13.7 multiplier depends on the compression ratio of the particular engine.  I don't knw if it applies to the Rocket engine.  iIt definitely does not apply to NA engines, which have a higher compression ratio than the typical turbo.