KGNB flight planning

I'm planning on flying into KGNB (Granby Co) next week.   I'm just looking for tips for landing/departing there.   I understand the preferred take off is to the west.  For flight planning,  a straight line path would take me right over Colorado Springs, so I'm thinking I might want to circle the field to the north a time or two to gain some altitude before heading towards the mountains.

And of course, any suggestions on don't miss local attractions are welcome too.

I was there in March for a ski trip to Winter Park, and I likely flew your same flight path if you're coming from Austin.  Based on the winds at the peaks, I was expecting bumps on the way in (and got none), but not on the way out (and had my cage rattled more than I'd prefer).  When I arrived (attached is a shot of WP on the descent), the winds favored runway 9, and when I departed, the winds favored 27...so I didn't have to think much about the terrain east of the field.  On departure, a left turn out (basically on course) allowed me to follow the valley down through the Winter Park area again gaining altitude before crossing the peaks.

I had trouble getting the fuel pump to work on the field, but finally pulled it out and retracted it enough to work the kink out in the box (that I couldn't see). I didn't see a soul on the field arriving or departing, and there were no other airplanes on the ramp.  Make sure to line up transportation before you go, because that was also a challenge.  Maybe that's all different in the summer...not sure.  I have yet to wander into the Rockies outside of ski season, but my wife has been wanting to do that soon....so let me know how it goes!

IMG_9403.JPG

• Like 2

Gnb is pretty easy as far as mtn airports go. Lots of busy airspace around cos, I'd avoid it all but that's just me.

As you said, depart 27. It's a big valley and you have a lot of room to maneuver and climb. Corona pass is right there to the se, depending on where you're coming from you could head up over bjc and then hit Rollins/Corona, it's an easy  to make at 12,5 pass but that might run you afoul of my suggestion to avoid the military and training happening around cos and puts you along the rocks where it will be bumpy. Due west of gnb is twin peaks and some pretty high terrain but there's a pass there too, the name escapes me.

Be there around or before noon.

It's an easy shot up that valley to a lot of other airports too.

27 is right pattern, hill in the way of left. There's a little shack with keys to a loaner car. It's a ragged out Ford suv that used to be a police car.

Co dot has a free map with preferred routes and the Colorado pilots association website has good suggestions. I've flown turbos too long and lost my edge on my flying. :D

In a 231 I'd just file 180 and cancel round about Denver and start down to cross Corona at 13ish and maneuver in a big arc around the west side to join a 45 for 27 right downwind. But I'm lazy.

I go to lava Java cafe for breakfast, it's good but not mind blowing. Gnb is a 20 minute flight or 3 hour drive from me so it's fun to take people there.

• Like 1