A&P Price

jM20

Need advice. I'm trading flight time for A&P work. Basically coming to a agreement on airplane costs versus how much per hour his time is worth. 
The A&P is more on the inexperienced side. For major items, a shop is doing the work. The full shop near me charges $80-85/hr. For companies, the pay for A&P is about 24.50/hr. He works in my hanger.
I know its somewhere in between, but what do you guys think? He w

Thanks!

Edited by jM20

3 hours ago, jM20 said:

May have screwed my self. I gave him my cost break down per hour, and before he saw it, gave a number 2.4 times/hour higher than my minimal dry hourly rate.

All well and good until you factor in a prop reseal, a bad jug, new alternator, radio, HSI overhaul, et cetera. Your dry hourly rate takes a while to stabilize, just like the cost of owning a house seems low until the AC needs to be replaced. 

When I had my Beechcraft I had a AP/IA, CFII friend who was just about the best hanger fairy a guy could ever wish for.  He had the keys to several different hangers and would trade his services for aircraft time.  It was a very convenient arrangement for me and I often had stuff fixed that I hadn't even figured out was broken.

26 minutes ago, TonyK said:

When I had my Beechcraft I had a AP/IA, CFII friend who was just about the best hanger fairy a guy could ever wish for.  He had the keys to several different hangers and would trade his services for aircraft time.  It was a very convenient arrangement for me and I often had stuff fixed that I hadn't even figured out was broken.

You were very fortunate, but there is no way you can refer to a licensed A&P/IA as a "hangar fairy"!  Although fairies are unable to write (log book entries), and most don't have access to documentation or can't read (maint manuals etc) A&P/IA is fully literate and god in the eyes of the FAA.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, N6758N said:

Hour for hour is about right. I charge $60/hr as an IA.

The going rate, that pretty common starting rate here at  $60 in Socal for independent out the truck mechanics.

2 hours ago, N601RX said:

It depends on the area and if they have another day job. In my area there are several who will come to your hanger for $25 hr CASH. Most of them have day jobs at local military base. 

Suggestion of $25 hr here would get you a wack over the head with their torque wrench. We too have some military IA's that moon light after hours and weekends, but they charge more than the full time guys working out of the back of their truck - $75 hr

• Like 1

10 hours ago, kortopates said:

The going rate, that pretty common starting rate here at  $60 in Socal for independent out the truck mechanics.

Suggestion of $25 hr here would get you a wack over the head with their torque wrench. We too have some military IA's that moon light after hours and weekends, but they charge more than the full time guys working out of the back of their truck - $75 hr

That's the difference in the left coast and rural Alabama. CfII's  also work for $25-30hr around here. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

Fair point, Paul. I stand corrected. I can very much see the appeal.  I just can't afford it. :)

Me either :(.  I've got family, cousins and such, who live in the Bay Area. I know I earn significantly more, but am still envious that they've figured out how to live there and I can't.