Replacing bad airtex carpet

I am installing new carpet in my C because the carpet I bought from airtex about a year ago is absolute crap. I did not know any better at that point and thought I should warn all you looking to re-do your carpet. The carpet I bought was pre-cut, extremely poorly and the fit was absolutely atrocious to say the least. I also ended up with an oil leak in the cabin at one point which soaked into the carpet making my decision to remove it even easier.

This time I'm taking a different approach with a different company. SCS interiors sent me some samples of their products a while back and I immediately noticed the much higher quality of their carpets. They have a flexible plastic backing rather than cheap foam and the carpet itself is very dense and feels much better than the garbage I purchased previously. Additionally, the price is very very fair at $49/yard. My C will require less than 2 yards. They can also cut any pattern we send and bind as needed. 

One big difference with the non-pre cut carpet is that a pattern has to be made and mailed off. So, that's what I did last weekend. The new carpet will fit so much better and look a 100 times better than what I had previously. I will be mailing the pattern out to them this week and should have the carpet next week. At this point, I think the total cost will be less than $250 for everything. This is a much better deal than airtex.

I have attached a picture of the pattern that was made using large poster card stock. If anyone else needs it for their 63C, please let me know.

IMG_3476.JPG

• Like 1

I got the airtex carpet kit (And kick panel kit too) for my 20C and it was a good fit (Laid in perfectly with the only cutting for the fuel selector and stuff like that...) and held up well for the 12 years I had it. 

I got a quote from Hector from Aerocomfort and they do a turn-key kit too for carpet.  It's quite a bit pricier, but I bet the quality is great.

I just got the side kick panel carpet kit from Airtex and put it in yesterday for my K.  A minimal amount of fitting and it looks nice.  They were easy to work with too.  I didn't want the baggage area for their kit, so they just did the cockpit area for cheaper.  Sooo....Maybe you got a bad batch?

I forgot to grab "Before" pictures on the kick panels, but I can post "After" pictures later this week.

Edited by jrwilson
  • Like 1

I'm looking forward to the (continued) pireps, please let us know how it all works out for fit and cost.

I've used Airtex in the past and never had a problem.  A previous owner of my current M20C installed Airtex carpet 22 years ago and now it's due to be switched out- but it still looks and fits okay.  I was planning to order new at OSH depending on what you report back with.

Based on my experience, having refurbished two Mooney interiors previously, I did use Airtex material for seats, side panels and carpets.  I've had success with their products.

With that said, I did not buy pre-cut units.

I am not using Airtex material on my current project, other than their 1" and 2" polyfoam.  Success so far!

Oh yes, I did find Airtex personnel quite friendly and very helpful to work with.

I used SCS last winter where they redid my complete my leather and carpets, in concert when my airplane was at Wilmar for tanks, and while Mr Jaeger did his interiors panel system.  I posted pictures here somewhere already, but I will be posting a completed refurb photo shoot in a few weeks, once the paint is done - its in paint right now - to be completed next week I think -' only the runway is not....  Its at Middlebury VT where the runway was started for resurface (planned of course) immediately after I dropped of for repaint.  The runway is behind schedule about 2 or 3 weeks because of all the rain.  If only I had a helicopter - I could just bring her home when the paint is done!

Anyway, SCS did an absolutely gorgeous fantastic job.

5 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

Its at Middlebury VT where the runway was started for resurface (planned of course) immediately after I dropped of for repaint.  The runway is behind schedule about 2 or 3 weeks because of all the rain

Funny the Rutland ramp is full of displaced homeless airplanes from Middlebury right now.  I've never seen it so busy on the weekends and they have one of the taxiways torn up to 19 which means it's single file taxi back from the ramp. Anyway not to thread hijack I just had not heard from anyone who was ground locked over at Middlebury yet.

1 hour ago, TonyK said:

Funny the Rutland ramp is full of displaced homeless airplanes from Middlebury right now.  I've never seen it so busy on the weekends and they have one of the taxiways torn up to 19 which means it's single file taxi back from the ramp. Anyway not to thread hijack I just had not heard from anyone who was ground locked over at Middlebury yet.

Yup - that's me - ground locked! :-?

By the original runway schedule - I should have had my plane back last week.  The paint schedule has slowed slightly I think because it became clear there is no rush anyway but I think it will finish late last week.  I might need to just drive over and see it.  But maybe I had better not since then I would be sorely tempted to depart on the taxiway!

SO I flew in to 2500ft and I will fly out of 3700 ft I believe it is.

So its hard on me - but I'm not complaining because it is much harder on the several businesses on the field that rely on people being able to come in and out.

• Like 2

Since several of you have asked for the pattern, here is my plan:

I am going to order 2 yards of carpet and do all the cutting and fitting myself in order to ensure a near perfect fit. Once complete, I'm going to send it off to SCS and have them finish the binding. I will also make improvements to the pattern once I know the carpet is fitting well and make a good second copy of it. From there, I'll mail off the pattern to the first person who asked for it. We can just continue sharing it as needed. I will see if SCS can simply use the cut carpet that I will mail them as a pattern for future purposes.

There seems to be more drama here than needed.

ORder 5 yards from these people http://www.automotiveinteriors.com/carpet/ydg/material_without_carpet.htm

take the old carpet out

Use as a pattern.  I overcut about an inch

Used some of the 2" velcro to put in place, then trimmed the edges with some scissors

I bought the edge binding, but have not put it on

There are several grease marks, so I may use the other 2.5 yards to make a couple more patterns.  Or just order some more.

Carpet should not be a one and done.  It is going to get grease and dirt on it.  It should be changed out when you do corrosion inspections or when someone spills their coffee or orange juice on it.

18 minutes ago, Yetti said:

Be careful with automotive carpet. Regulation adherence aside, do a small burn test on your own and see how quickly it flames up.

You can pick up some 'No-Burn Fabric Fire Protection' spray for $30 and have some peace of mind should something happen.

38 minutes ago, Yetti said:

It passed the vertical burn test in accordance with the burn test AC-______   

No need for the spray.

Remember DOT owns the FAA and the Automotive people.

Good to know, thanks for the information!

Edited by smwash02

for reference I did not have a bunsen burner for those tests and use a propane torch that is 400 degrees hotter than a bunsen burner according to this table.

http://www.derose.net/steve/resources/engtables/flametemp.html

I am pretty darn sure that the new carpet is alot less flammable than the foam back original brake fluid (mineral oil) soaked antique moss carpet that was in there.    The brake reservoir was leaking because the wrong sized tube was installed between the reservoir and parking brake.

Edited by Yetti
  • Like 1

At $49/yard, there is no need to go with auto carpet IMO. The carpet I'm looking at is much better quality than the carpet in my cars. The material holding the carpet fibers together is a flexible plastic and will be very easy to secure to the floor without fear of it moving around. 

Theres no drama here as far as I can tell...just sharing information. To each his own though.