Painting Wheel Wells

INA201

I've got paint flaking off in the wheel wells on the  J. My paint looks great except for the wheel well area.  Seems like it would prevent corrosion to have it cleaned up and sprayed.  Have any of you guys taken on this project? Any ideas for a reasonably low AMU solution? Thanks in advance.

Get some stiff plastic brushes from Harbor Freight. Get a hose if you have access or a bucket of water if you don't. Scrub it with dish soap until all the grunge is gone and spray it with Rustolium or Krylon. It will look ten times better! 

Be careful around the gas tank seams. Don't scrub the sealant or blast with high pressure water. 

It is all a lot easier if you remove the landing gear first. It isn't that hard.

In not so sure about getting dish soap in the wheel wells and this in between the laminated layers of the spar. That stuff is corrosive when trapped in between metal layers.  It's a strong base. Something like SC metal cleaner is much less so. Mineral spirits followed up by denatured alcohol is pretty risk free. 

• Like 2

Just now, N201MKTurbo said:

You underestimate the Mooney landing gear. It is tougher than you are. 

Thanks. I hope so...I have this horrible vision of scrubbing the gear clean and pushing something the wrong and it crushing me. Once it is clean, of course.

50 minutes ago, jetdriven said:

In not so sure about getting dish soap in the wheel wells and this in between the laminated layers of the spar. That stuff is corrosive when trapped in between metal layers.  It's a strong base. Something like SC metal cleaner is much less so. Mineral spirits followed up by denatured alcohol is pretty risk free. 

I suppose, just rinse it real good when you are done. I've done a few like that and never saw any sign of corrosion. Then again I live in Arizona and we don't do corrosion here.

Just now, milotron said:

Thanks. I hope so...I have this horrible vision of scrubbing the gear clean and pushing something the wrong and it crushing me. Once it is clean, of course.

As long as you don't get in there with a pry bar and start bending things you will be fine.

I had good luck cleaning up my wheel wells with the local shop's solvent pressure washer (basically just an engine degreaser), and a variety of scrub brushes of different shapes (be sure to get at least one skinny, pointy one).  That said, you need to be careful, even with low-grade solvents.  I accidentally laid down in a puddle of the stuff for a few minutes, leaving a rash on my back even through a heavy denim shirt.  Worse yet, I managed to get a few drops in one of my ears, which was quite painful and dizzying.  I didn't win any safety awards that day...

Eastwood sells a real 2-part epoxy primer in a spray can which will be a lot tougher than most spray paints. Those are simply lacquer.  Its not much further, after all that prep, to mix up real 2-part urethane in a detail HVLP gun and spray it.

Thanks. Cheap shot, I'll remember that. You know i actually went into the paint booth at Hawk to spray the checkerboards.  Some people talk, some people make things happen.

IMG_9630.jpg

Edited by jetdriven

58 minutes ago, jetdriven said:

Thanks. Cheap shot, I'll remember that. You know i actually went into the paint booth at Hawk to spray the checkerboards.  Some people talk, some people make things happen.

IMG_9630.jpg

Take it easy, I think it was a complimentary joke.  Speaking of compliments, that tail is gorgeous.  You should be proud.

I think Beechtalk has so many members because there are a LOT of Beechcraft.  They made the Bonanza for around 70 years.

I should do this myself, my paint is in really nice shape except the wheel wells.  I've just never painted anything like this and am as gun shy as you can imagine.

• Like 1

Its a semi-annual ritual for me. Scotch pad to take down flaking stuff, etch and prime. Don't want bare metal, especially since rocks kick up, etc. Like others said, if can be disastrous if you paint or prime over corrosion. You need that fully out before you cover.

-Robert

• Like 2

20 hours ago, milotron said:

Your crushed corpse might prevent a prop strike. You have to think about the greater good!

• Like 1