Jet range computations

Any jet jockeys out there?

How realistic are the range figures for business jets?  For an Embraer Phenom 100, the required reserves to shoot an approach, divert and shoot another approach are about 1000 lbs.  Given a 2800 lb capacity, this means 1800 lbs for going places.  Figure 500lbs and 30 minutes to get to FL 370, it would give two hours of cruise at LRC = 660 miles.  So realistic max range = about 850 miles versus advertised 1150.

Am I missing anything?

Well you didn't miss much!! I would think landing with 1000lbs in a P100 is a lot of gas. We land with 1000lbs in our Cj3. However, The CJ3 vs P100 is not apples to apples. 

The P300 is an amazing Jet and probably a 15-20% better than the CJ3. However,  9m vs a nice used CJ3 for 4m is hard to justify. Although the P100 & P300 sell like hotcakes.

I have not run numbers for the P100 but landing with 1000lbs would be conservative. 

-Matt

Just now, MB65E said:

Well you didn't miss much!! I would think landing with 1000lbs in a P100 is a lot of gas. We land with 1000lbs in our Cj3. However, The CJ3 vs P100 is not apples to apples. 

The P300 is an amazing Jet and probably a 15-20% better than the CJ3. However,  9m vs a nice used CJ3 for 4m is hard to justify. Although the P100 & P300 sell like hotcakes.

I have not run numbers for the P100 but landing with 1000lbs would be conservative. 

-Matt

When I hit the lotto I'll get one. I'll need you to fly with me awhile though so I can get turbine time :D

56 minutes ago, 201er said:

So wait for good weather and fly it VFR. Only shaves 30 minutes off the advertised range. :P

Actually to do that you'd have to stay below FL180 in the thick air which would cost a lot more fuel, further restricting range. :o

50 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

Actually to do that you'd have to stay below FL180 in the thick air which would cost a lot more fuel, further restricting range. :o

123 rule still applies so at that point we're talking a 15 minute reserve difference. Insignificant. I think?

14 minutes ago, Jim Peace said:

Old 20 series Learjet question......At what point does the low fuel light come on........Top of decent.....

Whaaaaaaat? I can't hear you over the engines!

I love the old lears. The timex of airplanes. They got ground into dust and still flew.