New panel in my 231

I purchased a 231 (N231JY) from Don Maxwell in October of last year and decided on a panel redo a couple months ago. I came out of an Avidyne equipped Cirrus and really enjoyed and became accustomed to the all glass panel. So I went with all glass in the new panel. We are in the final stages of completion now and thought I would post a few pics of the process.

This is what we started with...

IMG_2324.JPG

First day of tear down....

77C4C1AE-0B60-4093-B160-7C0F26138384.JPG

Second day of teardown....

51181001596__1C2CDF7E-5D54-4565-A4A9-96376FE219F2.JPG

New circuit breaker panel.....

IMG_2069.JPG

Very clean work....

IMG_2074.JPG

Back of main panel cleaned up...

IMG_9473.JPG

Fitting instruments. Everything is flush mounted.

IMG_2064.JPG

Radio stack....

IMG_4198.thumb.JPG.79026364ed84ed107ddefa470d8846a7.JPG

Checking for fitment...

IMG_2170.JPG

First power up...

IMG_2174.JPG

Edited by ziggysanchez
  • Like 13

14 hours ago, Jallen0 said:

Can you share the estimate for labor and equipment? If I am dreaming I need to be accurate in my dreams!

Very nice work.

Just the equipment was north of 25k. Not sure what the labor will be since my avionics guy has been letting me help do some of the work.

• Like 1

On 6/20/2017 at 9:08 AM, ziggysanchez said:

Just the equipment was north of 25k. Not sure what the labor will be since my avionics guy has been letting me help do some of the work.

Is that the price you are sharing with your wife?

2 Aspens including EA100, JPI 900, Sandia 340, L-3 Lynx, PMA 450A (upgrade from 8000B), Avidyne 440 (upgrade from 430W), Garmin GNC Navcom

Yes 40 is North of 25, just like Canada is North of Mexico. . lol

• Like 6

On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 1:30 AM, Marauder said:

I like your tastes Ziggy. Other than the Sandia and Avidyne, looks VERY familiar. emoji6.png

45daa2af627d6fd1ef5e62e98c01f60b.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

@Marauder Do you have a completed picture yet, this one is sans glare shield.

I like your tastes Ziggy. Other than the Sandia and Avidyne, looks VERY familiar.

[mention=9886]Marauder[/mention] Do you have a completed picture yet, this one is sans glare shield.

No, but I'll post one when I take one. Just have a crappy views we took while flying.

71b36329198ef2159645992369b5da62.jpg128a85b702ab74ac1c00a44df09ca7bb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

Is that the price you are sharing with your wife?

2 Aspens including EA100, JPI 900, Sandia 340, L-3 Lynx, PMA 450A (upgrade from 8000B), Avidyne 440 (upgrade from 430W), Garmin GNC Navcom

Yes 40 is North of 25, just like Canada is North of Mexico. . lol

I got great deals on my equipment with the exception of the Garmin. Found most of it online and was able to trade some of my old stuff for credit. I got everything new except for one of the Aspens. I got a refurbished unit. I spent more than 25K but less than 30K.

7 hours ago, bradp said:

Who's doing your work Ziggy?  Very nice.  I really like that you are showing the back of the panel where the true art work is - totally well organized.

Dennis Falasco at Omega Aircraft in Weatherford, OK. He does excellent work. The best work is definitely behind the panel. I don't know why more people don't show that part of it. That's part of the reason I shared it.

Edited by ziggysanchez
  • Like 1

Just now, ziggysanchez said:

I got great deals on my equipment with the exception of the Garmin. Found most of it online and was able to trade some of my old stuff for credit. I got everything new except for one of the Aspens. I got a refurbished unit. I spent more than 24K but less than 30K.

Good job

• 3 weeks later...

Beautiful panel.  I'm very jealous. 

Only thing I can add - its on my soon to be done list is adding a nice panel mount for iPad mini behind copilot yoke. Runs the IFD100 app giving you a big screen for your 440 (and something pretty for my better half to play with) http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/ifdrmount13-18919.php

looking at that back picture of your panel - I really should clean mine out it's a nightmare back there with all the add on upgrades.

Edited by mccdeuce
added link
  • Like 2

I'm going to mount my iPad in that area but nothing permanent as I upgrade often. It will be very clean though and sit very close to the panel. I'll post a picture when I get it mounted.

I like it! Could be I'm partial to clean panels.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, ziggysanchez said:

I'm going to mount my iPad in that area but nothing permanent as I upgrade often. It will be very clean though and sit very close to the panel. I'll post a picture when I get it mounted.

I upgrade as well - have a mini4 that runs ForeFlight that I like not being mounted. But I have the old mini2 which is going as an extra screen for the IFD. 

I will be interested in what you do - I might follow suit - your other work is so clean I'm sure this will look good too. 

3 hours ago, Oldguy said:

Not seeing anything requiring vacuum in the new panel. Is vacuum pump gone?

Yup. We removed the vacuum system. Everything was completed today. I fly it home tomorrow. I'll get some pictures then with the glare shield on.IMG_0012.JPG.aee82d882d80d160752e2356d36af66a.JPG

• Like 5

2 hours ago, ziggysanchez said:

Yup. We removed the vacuum system. Everything was completed today. I fly it home tomorrow. I'll get some pictures then with the glare shield on.IMG_0012.JPG.aee82d882d80d160752e2356d36af66a.JPG

Hey! There was a thread about copying people's paint job. What about copying people's panels? :) Everytime I see a picture, I need to take a double take that it isn't mine.

596819f6c4f96_2017PanelUpgrade.thumb.jpg.2c018cbff4069532179029a52af60c71.jpg

I like Steven757’s panel enough to copy it... there has got to be some significant savings in doing that as well...

Cut and paste engineering work...

1) the equipment has already been selected, fitness for use is covered, no integration or fitment issues...

2) layout has been selected by people that fly a lot more than me...

3) Installation has been done before.  Doing it again should be a breeze... sort of.

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1