Colorado Flying Scenario

Have a question for people with experience-  Would you fly an naturally aspirated plane like a 182 or a piper dakota, from an airport in SW Colorado to an airport on the front range?  What about departing late evening?

I don't have the perspective to assess this...

For sure. And there are paths that are better than others. And there are times when you should do it and times when you shouldn't. For example, the early am is the best time to fly in the mountains. Also, if the winds are >25Kts at 12,000 don't go...wave will be an issue and the downdrafts can be downright deadly. Plan for a long time to climb...and you'll need at least 13,000 feet for most of the passes (1000 ft clearance). A 182 is NO problem. I've done it a bunch. What airports? 

>>Would you fly an naturally aspirated plane like a 182 or a piper dakota, from an airport in SW Colorado to an airport on the front range?

Me? Yes, definitely. But I have 20 years experience flying in those mountains. I actually would have done it the week after my mountain checkout. But as a newbie for my first mountain trip with no mountain training at all in an airplane with limited power to climb high above the terrain? Not so much.

>>What about departing late evening?

No, definitely not. Not even with my 20 years of experience flying in those mountains.

There are more than a few "powerful" airplanes littering those passes. Most of them involving lack of pilot knowledge and capability, not aircraft capability. 

2 hours ago, smccray said:

What about departing late evening?

Not this.......you want to give your rescuers a fighting chance of finding you, plus are the good doctors working the graveyard shift or starting at 9am?....have a 406 ELT a PLB and go in the morning ......

• Like 1

182 is a fine mountain airplane. Go in the am. Use the Colorado aeronautical chart to plan your route or the Colorado pilots association website. Be on the ground by noon or 1pm.

Do not climb up valleys. Get your altitude then turn in. You can make anywhere in the state at 12,5 and the 182 will do fine there but keep it light.

39 minutes ago, steingar said:

....  I wouldn't fly a Skylane or any other unpressurized airplane anywhere near rocks at night, at least not the big ones.

A few years ago I was flying with my aviation partner from Colorado Springs to N California one night. We had decent weather but it was a dark and moonless night.  Short of tasks, I started looking at the "nearest airports" pages on the GNS530.   Many were in glide range from FL260.  Then I started drilling down into runway information. Most of the strips shown were dirt, and with no lights--useless to us.  The night seemed to offer a lot fewer options then: 15:1 glide ratio or not, we were going to land off airport if the Pratt stopped spinning.  

1 hour ago, steingar said:

I'd fly a Skylane around the big rocks, those things can climb.  I wouldn't fly a Skylane or any other unpressurized airplane anywhere near rocks at night, at least not the big ones.

Eh, they don't climb that well but it's perfectly capable. Keep it light....

Piston single at night is just a bad idea but it doesn't get dark until like 9 right now anyway. On a perfect day it's not entirely unthinkable to leave in the evening after the storms have moved east and get there just before sunset. But not without experience. I don't have enough to try it a d I do a fair bit of flying in these mountains.

Actual darkness? No. Not even in a turbo at 230. A turbine,? I'm your huckleberry

3 hours ago, peevee said:

Eh, they don't climb that well but it's perfectly capable. Keep it light....

Piston single at night is just a bad idea but it doesn't get dark until like 9 right now anyway. On a perfect day it's not entirely unthinkable to leave in the evening after the storms have moved east and get there just before sunset. But not without experience. I don't have enough to try it a d I do a fair bit of flying in these mountains.

Actual darkness? No. Not even in a turbo at 230. A turbine,? I'm your huckleberry

It gets darker much earlier on the east side of the ridges.