Engine making metal caution

preinke

Last annual metal was found in the filter. I tried to measure the quantity and it was near Lycoming's threshold of keep running with caution. My mechanic was ok with this approach but I wanted to take a look. The engine had about 1000 hours since overhaul but had been internally inspected several times as cylinders were overhauled. but years since overhaul was 25+. The pictures below show findings - the camshaft journal was wiped because the oil hole was plugged. I had originally thought about overhaul as I had been slowly updating the motor over time. With the bad case and cam, I decided to go for factory overhaul but because of age was required to go reman route. I have about 10 hours on the new engine and though expensive I am glad we took a look as things were going south quickly.

I sold the Cessna 180 to help fund this project - been a little depressed but now that the Mooney is flying again it's getting better. Went with my daughter on father's day and went to our favorite ice cream shop.

Paul '77J KIKV

IMG_1074.JPG

IMG_1075.JPG

• Like 4

Originally the mechanics didn't think there was a passage but I could see a difference in appearance and we were able to pick through . We didn't check the metal plugging the passage for magnetic properties.  I came to appreciate the destruction that these small particles caused in a relatively short time. The cylinder bases were also affected.

6 hours ago, preinke said:

Originally the mechanics didn't think there was a passage but I could see a difference in appearance and we were able to pick through . We didn't check the metal plugging the passage for magnetic properties.  I came to appreciate the destruction that these small particles caused in a relatively short time. The cylinder bases were also affected.

Well crud. No fun. My Sympathies and good luck with the project.  

• Like 1