Collision at Sea

It puzzles me that two radar equipped big vessels collide on a clear night with calm seas. Specially when one of them is a Navy Ship (USS Fitzgerald) equipped with phase array radars. Unlike airplane radars that are used for weather detection marine radars are mostly used for obstacle detection like boats, coast line, buoys and others. Small sail boats carry a mast radar reflector to enhance their radar signature. A periscope wake can also be detected by Navy radars. These radars (commercial and navy) provide alarm signals for a threat of collision or pirates trying to hijack a ship.

The container ship was three times the size of the Fitzgerald thus generating a large radar and acoustic signature. And the Fitzgerald was not a small boat that could not be detected by the cargo ship radar. You can assume that the pilot of the cargo ship fell asleep but on the navy ship besides the pilot looking at the radar you have a crew continuously surveying the area for possible threats (North Korean ships).

It bothers me now how well US Navy ships are able to protect US interests when they can't even detect a cargo ship approaching them. Seven dead crew members and a broken ship was the result of this lack of responsibility. If the cargo ship would have hit perpendicular the navy ship it would have split it and sunk.

José

I have a hard time believing it too.

It looks like the destroyer's back is broken. Luckily it didn't sink. They mentioned it was salavagable, we'll see. It will be interesting to see what the investigation turns up.

RIP,

-Matt

2 hours ago, MB65E said:

It will be interesting to see what the investigation turns up.

RIP,

-Matt

Hello from Kona Matt,,

The USA needs Japan and the Philippines  to be on our side no matter what.  We need their geographic location for North Korea, China and other threats.  My feeling is nothing will come out of this collision other than the US sailors losing their career for not keeping watch.  There is no way that if it is the cargo ships fault that the other countries will have to pay.  And we will never know the truth.

It is my understanding that it was a Japanese company with a Filipino crew....not sure 

5 minutes ago, thinwing said:

Who ever was on watch on the bridge of the destroyer ,their career is toast...as fast as that destroyer could sail and maneuver out of harms way....if the watch officer had ordered a course change

Seven dead and a broken ship in no combat, that captain is facing court martial.

I was reading the comments on a news story about he crash. I was amazed at the number of people who think it was a plot by (name your enemy) to take out our ship. Granted, the cargo ship did some bizarre maneuvers before the crash, but if nothing else the crew of the destroyer should have been watching it extra careful because of its weird course changes.

Trying to hit the destroyer with the cargo ship is like trying to hit a Learjet with a blimp. Not the most effective weapon.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

Trying to hit the destroyer with the cargo ship is like trying to hit a Learjet with a blimp. Not the most effective weapon.

I don't know. The cargo ship continued to destination with no injuries while the destroyer was towed with 7 dead crew men. Maybe the old cargo ship was testing a new North Korean stealth technology.

José

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Piloto said:

I don't know. The cargo ship continued to destination with no injuries while the destroyer was towed with 7 dead crew men. Maybe the old cargo ship was testing a new North Korean stealth technology.

José

The "old" cargo ship is newer than the destroyer. It was built in 2008. The Fitzgerald was commissioned in 1995. 

10 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

Want to bet the radar operator was playing with his (her) phone?

59 minutes ago, Piloto said:

Maybe the old cargo ship was testing a new North Korean stealth technology.

Modern spy technology is little more than smoking-fast mobile Wifi hotspot to distract the enemy.  Overseas I've walked past airport x-ray scanners where the security guy was watching video on his phone placed in front of the x-ray monitor. 

• Like 2

A friend of mine, who is a fairly knowledgeable sailor, says that ships have (or at least have the technology) for radar collision avoidance alerts. Wouldn't we assume that would be standard equipment on the destroyer? Wouldn't you think this might be like a stall warning or gear alert? Wouldn't you think that a ship like this would have at least a two person crew in the cabin? 

No knowledge on my part, just musings.

12 hours ago, Piloto said:

Seven dead and a broken ship in no combat, that captain is facing court martial.

Maybe not..as long as he left proper orders before he retired to his cabin ...which was also demolished in the collision while he slept.He was airlifted to a Yokohama hospital with head injuries.

I was on watch at 3 am on the bridge of my friends 120 ft fedship.Abeam Ensenada Mexico a large cruise ship made a left turn into us prob to enter the harbor.Both radars clearly showed the crews ships track.We were on autopilot as I also assume cruise ship was.The difference was the cruise ship was lit up like a circus and easy to avoid by putting our boat in heading mode...if we hadn't been there ,we would have been tboned by a ship weighing 100 x our weight!

2 hours ago, DonMuncy said:

A friend of mine, who is a fairly knowledgeable sailor, says that ships have (or at least have the technology) for radar collision avoidance alerts. Wouldn't we assume that would be standard equipment on the destroyer? Wouldn't you think this might be like a stall warning or gear alert? Wouldn't you think that a ship like this would have at least a two person crew in the cabin? 

No knowledge on my part, just musings.

Recently spent 18 days on a 42' sailboat in and around Menorca.  Never sailed in the dark, always VFR.  But we had radar collision avoidance alerts, which would occasionally also alert as we approached land.  I'd guess that most well equipped medium-to-large pleasure boats are similarly equipped.  But, a human can easily ignore the alert.

1 hour ago, thinwing said:

Maybe not..as long as he left proper orders before he retired to his cabin ...which was also demolished in the collision while he slept.He was airlifted to a Yokohama hospital with head injuries.

I understand that the captain is 100% respobsable for the performance of his crew weather he is asleep or not.

If his crew did not follow his orders, he is still responsable because he didn't train his crew well enough to be able to follow his orders.

Just now, N201MKTurbo said:

I understand that the captain is 100% respobsable for the performance of his crew weather he is asleep or not.

If his crew did not follow his orders, he is still responsable because he didn't train his crew well enough to be able to follow his orders.

Is that why a captain goes down with the ship. He is dead anyway? :) 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Hyett6420 said:

So is he respobsable, responsable or in fact responsible.  His lawyers are going to have a field day with this one.  Sorry @N201MKTurbo, just had to pick up on the autocorrect. :)  

How could auto correct screw up that bad? I actually know how to spell that one. I just can't type!

• Like 1

If we want to speculate, I would guess that the least senior/experienced crew members were on watch (1:30AM).  Since it takes miles to stop/alter course, a small error in judgement could result in a collision.  The captain was in his stateroom which was crushed by the collision.