M20J shopping

mainer04911

I have been casually searching online for a few months, for a four seater with decent range, speed of course, and relatively easy on the wallet. Money makes planes fly right? A M20J looks like a decent fit, and delivers performance matching a Bo, without the sticker price. I was looking for a relatively inexpensive plane under 100k and came across this. To my untrained eye the plane is priced a bit high, should be mid 80's? But otherwise fits the bill. 

M20J

Doesn't look crazy to me. The TKS is am expensive option- if someone were interested in TKS on a J then pricing looks very reasonable to me. Total time is high, but at $93k, assuming everything checks out, it's not crazy.

7 minutes ago, smccray said:

Doesn't look crazy to me. The TKS is am expensive option- if someone were interested in TKS on a J then pricing looks very reasonable to me. Total time is high, but at $93k, assuming everything checks out, it's not crazy.

Noted, thanks. I never had the chance to fly with TKS before. From what I have gathered online, a J is just a LASAR modded F correct in simple terms? I have seen some similar configured F's for 60-70k that appear to offer similar performance to the J's at a lower price point. 

1 minute ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

In the most basic of terms, yes that is true. A J is just a cleaned up F. 

This particular J is a rarely configured bird for the serious long distance almost all weather flyer. Is that you? If so I'd say it represents great value.  If not you can probably find another J that is more to your needs for less that will also be cheaper to operate and maintain.  

Welcome aboard!

Jim

Yes, this plane meets my needs. Thanks for the info. I won't rule out decent F's in my search. 

As bluehighwayflyer noted, the plane is configured for distance traveling. TKS adds some safeguards from inadvertent icing encounters but this version is not approved for known icing. It will also add weight, as does the additional fuel and the radar. I wasn't able to find a useful load with full fuel, but I would guess it is fairly low. The radar on a Mooney isn't very effective due to the smaller size of the radome. 

The panel is a bit rough and contains some relics. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

All true. Long range tanks are available on both Fs and Js but they are relatively rare. TKS is not available at all for Fs and very few Js are so equipped. I have to imagine the universe of Js with both is incredibly small. This J should be purchased by someone who needs it's unique capabilities. Most of us do not, however. 

Thanks, I did look up the STC on the TKS, it isn't for FIKI, but even if I were up to that kind of flying, it wouldn't be in a 200hp a/c. I had planned to install an aspen panel or two in whatever plane I found. Thanks for the replies all, this forum is great.  

Aaah yes....

1) On the continuous Mooney curve, a J, is an aerodynamically cleaned up F...

2) An F is a slightly stretched E...

3) An E is simply a C with fuel injection

4) A C is nothing more than a modernized B, with a few convenience items added.

5) A B is the all metal version of the A model.

5.5) Some people would never fly The A model of anything...(reference?) many of us around here still do!

Going the other way...

6) adding an IO550 to the J becomes a Missile...

7) magically stretching the Missile, an O is born.

8) All one needs to add to an O is a pair of snails on the intake that come with intercoolers, now you have an acclaim!

9) On a side note, adding a TN to that same F from earlier, a simulated K is at hand...

Looking out to the future...

10) All one needs to add is another door and swap in some composite surface panels...

One continuous curve from A to TN... and U or V. :)

All of these mods cost money. A lot of money. Making the J in the advertisement really appear to be a bargain.  Because starting with an F and upgrading all the way to a J with all the bling of TKS/radar/etc will cost a lot more than the 93AMU in the ad.

Having stuff you don't need can be somewhat expensive as well. Four seats but not enough UL to go your distance will make you question what you were thinking. TKS, speed brakes, and radar..oh my!

Go Mooney!

Happy Father's Day,

-a-

Edited by carusoam
  • Like 6

I have been casually searching online for a few months, for a four seater with decent range, speed of course, and relatively easy on the wallet. Money makes planes fly right? A M20J looks like a decent fit, and delivers performance matching a Bo, without the sticker price. I was looking for a relatively inexpensive plane under 100k and came across this. To my untrained eye the plane is priced a bit high, should be mid 80's? But otherwise fits the bill. 
M20J

I looked at this plane and it would be one I would buy immediately if I could fast forward to spring of 2018. The owner has flown it for business regularly and has taken very good care of it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, Mcstealth said:

Check out this J with all of everything on it. Jimmy and David have it at All Amiercan  

The UL is 922lbs. 

https://www.controller.com/listings/aircraft/for-sale/18102253/1992-mooney-m20j-mse?dlr=1&pcid=17527&if=1

way more on it, way less hours. 

I saw that plane, looks great. Problem for me is how much plane to buy. I tend to be cheap. Hell, my house was only 70k haha. I started out considering a new or next to new Skylane, but I want something I can fully own within a few years, hence staying under 100k, I am debt free right and would like to go back to that as quickly as I can...but some of those examples out there sure are nice!

I agree the avionics are a bit much on the first plane I referenced, although I assume I can have the radar removed, or at the very least the display removed. I'll keep my eye out, you guys are a great help and happy Father's Day. 

Edited by mainer04911
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, mainer04911 said:

I have been casually searching online for a few months, for a four seater with decent range, speed of course, and relatively easy on the wallet. 

An E has four seats, depending on who sits in the rear :lol:

They are also Super and built like tanks, but move like Porsche's.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, mainer04911 said:

I saw that plane, looks great. Problem for me is how much plane to buy. I tend to be cheap. Hell, my house was only 70k haha. I started out considering a new or next to new Skylane, but I want something I can fully own within a few years, hence staying under 100k, I am debt free right and would like to go back to that as quickly as I can...but some of those examples out there sure are nice!

I agree the avionics are a bit much on the first plane I referenced, although I assume I can have the radar removed, or at the very least the display removed. I'll keep my eye out, you guys are a great help and happy Father's Day. 

That J would be a forever plane for most anybody, execpt the ones who's needs grow to six seats or wants more kts. If you plan on a multi year relationship, if 922lbs UL fits your mission, if you've got the cash and inclination, you most likely would not regret the price tag. That being said, the one major hickey for this plane is the lack of support of the STC M20 Turbo, however, most major repair shops "should" not have any issues with it. 

My .02 spending other people's money. 

DF 

Question: If I owned a J that I loved but needed a Turbo, I can see doing the upgrade/STC/etc. But if I'm out shopping for a turbo Mooney, why wouldn't I prefer a 252 or 231 over this J? 

Just curious what the advantage would be?

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

Question: If I owned a J that I loved but needed a Turbo, I can see doing the upgrade/STC/etc. But if I'm out shopping for a turbo Mooney, why wouldn't I prefer a 252 or 231 over this J? 

Just curious what the advantage would be?

I am of the same mind.

Maybe the owner who added the M20 hated Continental?

One thing is sure, someone loved his J. 

Just showing the OP some advertised options. 

Df