Ovation anti-collision light - LED options?

11 hours ago, BorealOne said:

Anyone tried out one of the LED anti-collision lights yet? What options are there out there for Ovations?

By "anti-collision lights", are you talking about your wingtip strobes, or the anti-collision beacon on the aft belly?  Some people interpret "anti-collision" differently, so wanted to clarify.

So this is something I've been after with Whelen for several years now.  I can confirm there has been a project in the works to get an LED replacement for the Model 90033 built, but it took a back seat to other projects.  When they finally moved the project forward, produced a prototype, and were pursuing certification, they ran into challenges with the design from the FAA perspective, so after some redesigning/re-engineering, they put it on the back burner again, but have not cancelled it.

Other Whelen LED fuselage lights are PMAd and can go in that lower aft location, but none are currently available that fit in the footprint of the 90033 without some fuselage surgery.  Not sure if other manufacturers have an offering, but haven't seen anything either.  I'll be following up again with Whelen at their request around mid-July to see if they've been able to clear hurdles and move it forward again.

Steve

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Turns out replacing the Model 90033 belly strobe with a Whelan Orion 500V02 in the tail strobe location is a legit alternative. I've just had that work done, and it's a much better (more visible) alternative to stock. 

Edited by BorealOne

Correct.  And much less power draw I would imagine.  I do have the OR650e wingtips plus the OR500 tail, all synced, and it's a great combination.  Now that the Whelen guys are back from Osh, I'll give them a ring.  If there isn't a direct replacement for the 90033 in the near future, will probably just remove the thing when the bulb burns out, plug the hole, keep the wire bundle in place, and placard the switch on the OH panel.  If they ever do come out with a replacement, I'll reconsider based on cost and true need, else, will just go with the Orions as you mentioned.

Steve

On 8/1/2017 at 5:53 AM, BorealOne said:

Turns out replacing the Model 90033 belly strobe with a Whelan Orion 500V02 in the tail strobe location is a legit alternative. I've just had that work done, and it's a much better (more visible) alternative to stock. 

Whelen's info on the aircraft speice site says it's to be mounted horizontal for an anti-collision light.  Viewing it from the side when mounted vertically is at the edge of its light pattern.  However, thw wingtip strobes along with a tail strobe will meet the requirements, the bet strobe is an extra. 

I also have the 90033. I'm working with a guy who can source a 45w LED flashing bulb. In that case you run 12v or 24v to the sockets bypassing the electronics. The bulb flashes on its own. That would cut down the 10A load to 4a and it should be just as bright.