TonyK's attempts at flying.

TonyK

That one had plenty wrong with it.  My ground track on takeoff was awful. On the landing I was at first asked to join the downwind and then when I got closer the tower had me change up and just come in on the base to final.  That left me high and fast.  I should have anticipated it and slowed down / got down farther out. I had a two part base to final turn.  I overshot my landing zone by at least 300 feet and I lost the centerline on my rollout trying to find the taxi way the tower asked if I could make.  It was smooth enough but still lots of room for improvement.  I had one for the blooper reel a week or so ago but the GoPro didn't get it.  Came in too fast with a pretty good cross wind.  Float, float, float, gust, balloon, prang!  I should have cut my losses and just gone around but thought I could salvage it.  (Wrong thinking)  I have to take my hat off to the guys who can make the videos of all of the different angles and have a talk track etc.  I'm having a hard enough time getting the darn thing to stay turned on. I've only managed to actually make  two videos in four attempts  but I think it's going to be a good tool for hot washing my flights.

• Like 2

Just now, kpaul said:

125 mph for flaps, 120 mph for gear - mine are electric. 

Interesting. I'm actually a bit surprised the gear extension speed is that much lower on the earlier models. They don't have inner gear doors to worry about.

What does the F POH say? Gear down first or flaps down first? I just rechecked the J manual and it does refer to gear down before flaps.

50 minutes ago, 201er said:

Interesting. I'm actually a bit surprised the gear extension speed is that much lower on the earlier models. They don't have inner gear doors to worry about.

What does the F POH say? Gear down first or flaps down first? I just rechecked the J manual and it does refer to gear down before flaps.

I will have to see what I have on my personal computer, my actual POH is on the other side of the world.

My POH says gear then flaps but the max extension is 125 for the flaps and 120 on the gear.  I did put the flaps down into the takeoff position before I lowered the gear so I can add that to my list.  Good catch 201er.

Could someone who knows the GoPro well answer me a question.  Why can I start the video get the take off and all of the trip and then it shuts off before the landing?  Then after landing and eating I can start it again and get the take off and the trip but again no landing.  I have plenty of battery and memory space for both.  It's just odd.

22 hours ago, TonyK said:

Could someone who knows the GoPro well answer me a question.  Why can I start the video get the take off and all of the trip and then it shuts off before the landing?  Then after landing and eating I can start it again and get the take off and the trip but again no landing.  I have plenty of battery and memory space for both.  It's just odd.

It is closing its eyes because it is afraid of the landing

• Like 1

On 6/23/2017 at 6:07 PM, TonyK said:

Wait a second.....  You guys don't close your eyes when you are landing?

:D

As to the GoPro shutting off, how long is your trip?  I think most action cams have a "Cyclic Record" option (or words to that effect) that has to be on, otherwise the recording stops at the max file size (or less if you changed the setting for that).  Most (or all) action cams use the FAT32 format, so the max filesize is 4 GB, which is about 1:15 at 720P.  

The last two trips were under an hour each.  It creates multiple files so I can string them together (or not) in Capture to piece the entire flight together from front to finish.  I am guessing it creates a file, fills the file, closes the file, creates the next file.  It does not have any rhyme nor reason to if it gets the entire flight or not.  201er had the most logical explanation saying it was overheating and shutting down.  And from all of his videos (which are pretty darn good) he seems to have enough experience with them to speak from knowledge.  I'm going to keep playing with it.   I want to try a over the shoulder angle with the radio traffic.  I think it will give me good insight on my flow through the different phases of flight.

A couple of more.  The landings for these two flights actually felt pretty good as far as flow and procedure.  Of course the good ones didn't get on video. :-)

I liked the Westfield Barnes airport.  At 9000' you get to land forever.

Rutland departure.

On 6/22/2017 at 1:33 PM, TonyK said:

My POH says gear then flaps but the max extension is 125 for the flaps and 120 on the gear.  I did put the flaps down into the takeoff position before I lowered the gear so I can add that to my list.  Good catch 201er.

In my C's book, they are consecutive sfeps, with "Flaps--as needed."

Screenshot_20170625-224008.thumb.png.cf8ee6dee52f97a419e7b90c26e606fb.png

But because flap speed is higher, I drop them first, no later than pattern entry (although I'm sometimes still slowing down some then . . . ). Gear down abeam point of intended landing, slight power reduction and start descent. Having flaps out also makes the plane much more stable at pattern speed of 90 mph for downwind and base. Just like flying an approach, half flaps but 90 mph instead of 90 knots, use gear as trigger for descent.

Hey, lookkee there, the last sentence before "WARNING"! Official Mooney writing to extend flaps on final as needed to compensate for variations in just about everything outside the plane. Yep, I do that, too.  :P

• Like 1

Try running your gopro in an air conditioned room with the housing off and see if it lasts longer than in the plane. Then you'll have your answer. I lost a lot of good footage last year because my gopro would overheat and shut off randomly. Sometimes 15 minutes sometimes an hour into a flight. Kind of depends on how the sun is hitting them. This is inside the plane mostly. Outside, they seem to cool off better with the oncoming air. But if the OAT is really high, it may still be a problem.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/18/2017 at 1:45 PM, TonyK said:

That one had plenty wrong with it.  My ground track on takeoff was awful. On the landing I was at first asked to join the downwind and then when I got closer the tower had me change up and just come in on the base to final.  That left me high and fast.  I should have anticipated it and slowed down / got down farther out. I had a two part base to final turn.  I overshot my landing zone by at least 300 feet and I lost the centerline on my rollout trying to find the taxi way the tower asked if I could make.  It was smooth enough but still lots of room for improvement.  I had one for the blooper reel a week or so ago but the GoPro didn't get it.  Came in too fast with a pretty good cross wind.  Float, float, float, gust, balloon, prang!  I should have cut my losses and just gone around but thought I could salvage it.  (Wrong thinking)  I have to take my hat off to the guys who can make the videos of all of the different angles and have a talk track etc.  I'm having a hard enough time getting the darn thing to stay turned on. I've only managed to actually make  two videos in four attempts  but I think it's going to be a good tool for hot washing my flights.

Nice video. I am now recording most of my flights. It allows me to monitor how my landings and take offs are... So don't worry, it looks much worse than it really is...

9 hours ago, TonyK said:

I managed to get another full video.  Watertown, NY to Rutland, VT.  Big tailwind but really bumpy.

Nice, this was a very nice flight. BTW, I see that you are facing my problem too... I take off with a clear lens but after a short flight oil get's on it and makes it blurry.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/19/2017 at 0:27 AM, Oscar Avalle said:

Nice...But where are the bad and the ugly?

On 6/22/2017 at 10:34 PM, rbridges said:

Don't know where bad is, but my wife said I'm the ugly.  

Hahaha! This cracked me up. But seriously, it isn't really as bad as it looks. :)