Landing/Ramp Fees

jpusser

An interesting story. I needed a local chart and contacted a flight school that happened to be down the ramp from an FBO that charges 40.00 ramp fee for using the public airport. They said ask for them when I land and get directed to them. They are well aware of this 40.00 fee practice up the ramp but apparently do not collect anything for using their facilities.

Dan

On a related point, if you are flying into an airport where the plane will be on the ground for one or more overnights, do you generally hangar your plane or tie down.  North Las Vegas charged me $50 per day for hangar space and so did an FBO at Addison Texas.  Fuel was additional.  I choose a hangar to safeguard against avionics theft.  Paranoia?  Is the tie-down rate substantially less than the hangar rate (I admit I didn't check)?  Also, is the fee waiver for gas customary but you have to ask to get the waiver?

Quote: Skyatty

On a related point, if you are flying into an airport where the plane will be on the ground for one or more overnights, do you generally hangar your plane or tie down.  North Las Vegas charged me $50 per day for hangar space and so did an FBO at Addison Texas.  Fuel was additional.  I choose a hangar to safeguard against avionics theft.  Paranoia?  Is the tie-down rate substantially less than the hangar rate (I admit I didn't check)?  Also, is the fee waiver for gas customary but you have to ask to get the waiver?

I've never hangared my plane when travelling. Most places I've stopped are $10-$15 per night, waived with fuel purchase. I parked for a week at ROA due to weather and paid the monthly fee as it was cheaper. JGG is also cheaper to pay a month's tie down than four days, I think it was $50 when I visited for a week, ate lunch, fueled up and rented a car. There's a grass strip I visit at the beach that just lowered their rate from $10/day or $50/month to just $5/day or $25/month! Smooth grass, the lights now work, watch the trees at both ends and the power lines running through them to the sub-station beside the runway. But it's less than a mile to the Intra-Coastal Waterway, and sometimes the Marines are practicing following/tracking you from their helicopters as you go in and out.

I'll hangar the plane if bad weather is forecasted.  I gladly paid the $70 hangar fee when I was in Des Moines last summer because of the severe thunderstorm that was forecasted for that night.  The fee pailed in comparison to potetial hail damage repairs, so a little insurance is well worth it.  Ramp and tie-down fees would have been waived since I bought fuel.  I chalked up to part of the vacation budget.

Brian

Quote: Amelia

You looking for an airport dog? Land at Eufaula, Alabama sometime. KEUF has an airport DOG! She's a Newfie, well over a hundred pounds of Newfie. Mootsie may favor you with a gentle canine smile and an exhausted flop of her shaggy tail, but mostly she seems to spend the day trying to convince transients that she's actually a black-bear rug. (KEUF has no landing fee, no handling fee, no ramp fee, reasonably priced fuel, and if you get there at lunch time on a scorching hot southern Alabama day, and decide that all the homemade cookies, the fresh fruit, the icecream bars, the soda pop, the coffee, and if you hit it exactly right, maybe even airport bums operating a barbecue grill, should be augmented by lunch at the nearby airport restaurant, they might even pull your airplane into a shady hangar for the hour.) Hospitality writ exceeding large there. Exec-you Jet, Billionaire, and the rest of the fancy operators could learn a thing or two from this small airport.

Great stories all...for some reason we keep running into airport cats!!!Paso robles ca and evanston wyoming being most notable...these are all 25 pounders easy!!!..I like to donate to their "kibble fund"My own hanger has frequent "visitor" that I have no idea where he comes from...usually I am on my back on the creeper degreasing and am startled by a "meow".I figure go right ahead...chase any rats and mice out of my hanger if you please.