Gear Tool Requirements

• 4 months later...
1 minute ago, Bartman said:

That sux !!!   Someone told me a long time ago that no good deed goes unpunished. 

Yes it does. If I need it I know where it is and can go get it... three states away.

From now on if somebody wants to use my tools they will have to do it in my hangar.

I loaned my nose gear compression tool to a Mooney Spacer 3 years ago. I still don't have it back!

That is unsatisfactory. If you are gracious enough to lend someone here a tool you should expect to get it back. He may have just forgotten to return it in which case you should remind him. If still no joy then it’s a stolen tool and you should call him out here. I have offered to lend tools here before so definitely would want to know who NOT to lend tools to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

Ok, if I was going to out the guy I would have done it in the first post. There are extenuating circumstances, but I would like my tool back. He could get it shipped back if he wanted to. And I have asked for it to be sent back many times.

What state? I am in a lot of them. Perhaps I could stop by and pick it up for you and get it to you.

14 hours ago, RobertGary1 said:

What is the nose gear rigging tool? We've only ever measured the bungee to check the nose per the Mooney manual.

-Robert

Depends on year/retract mecanism.

Your maintenance manual is your friend.

Sorry but I just can't grit my teeth any longer-

If one doesn't know how many tools are needed to check the gear rigging or that electric and manual gears have different checking procedures then one obviously hasn't read or even own the proper maintenance  manual. 

WITHOUT THE MAINTENANCE MANUAL YOU AREN'T EVEN LEGAL TOUCHING THE GEAR!  A&P OR NOT!

Read the damn book before you mess around with the gear. You can google them for free for God's sake!

Sorry for the rant. Too many years seeing, watching needless accidents. 

• Like 6

On 1/2/2018 at 6:15 PM, Hector said:

That is unsatisfactory. If you are gracious enough to lend someone here a tool you should expect to get it back. He may have just forgotten to return it in which case you should remind him. If still no joy then it’s a stolen tool and you should call him out here. I have offered to lend tools here before so definitely would want to know who NOT to lend tools to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agreed. Sadly, some people only react to peer pressure and public shaming.

On 1/2/2018 at 3:18 PM, RobertGary1 said:

What is the nose gear rigging tool? We've only ever measured the bungee to check the nose per the Mooney manual.

-Robert

It's for manual gear only. If you have electric gear you just measure. I have electric gear and a useless to me nose gear tool I wish I could use instead. I hate the measuring procedure.

On 1/6/2018 at 3:21 PM, DaV8or said:

It's for manual gear only. If you have electric gear you just measure. I have electric gear and a useless to me nose gear tool I wish I could use instead. I hate the measuring procedure.

This statement is not true for all electric gear Mooneys.  The M20K MM calls for both a measurement of the springs using a caliper and then a pre-load force measurement using the nose gear tool.

Ron