Gear Tool Requirements

Does anyone know if the laser gear set is all you need for rigging the gear on the 20C? It has one tool for the nose and one for the mains. My mechanic seems to think that I need two main gear tools to rig the gear. Can anyone shed some light one this?

Just now, blurceo said:

Does anyone know if the laser gear set is all you need for rigging the gear on the 20C? It has one tool for the nose and one for the mains. My mechanic seems to think that I need two main gear tools to rig the gear. Can anyone shed some light one this?

I am not sure I would let your mechanic rig the gear if this is his understanding. @sabermech can fix you up with the right gear tools.

• Like 4

Just now, mike_elliott said:

I am not sure I would let your mechanic rig the gear if this is his understanding. @sabermech can fix you up with the right gear tools.

Yeah, that is what I was thinking. I thought I misunderstood him the first time he said it. But i asked again and he said the same thing. Thanks!

Tell him the main gear rigging tool is flipped around for the opposite gear.  You may want to do some reading of the manual with him before doing any adjusting to your gear.

Clarence

Are you having a problem with your gear? If not I wouldn't adjust anything. 

I still contend the preload tools are just a quick and easy check of the rigging not the tools to use to adjust to a particular value.

If you adjust the spring bungees so both nose bungees and and both main bungees work in unison and they all go to just short of full compression through the extension stroke. The preloads will measure within range. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
14 minutes ago, Mooney_Mike said:

If you have electric gear you only need the tool for the main gear? Is that correct?

You are correct.  The nose tool is only required on manual gear model.  For electric gear models you need a vernier caliber to measure spring compression.

Clarence

1 hour ago, Hank said:

Some of us make things for fun, not because it's cheaper. Challenging items are often more fun to make.  B)

Trust me I know...with a Lathe and a Mill in my garage top that off with people saying I cant do something has kept me up late more than once

• Like 2