Oxygen fill port leak

larryb

e5a530ec09cffe00ca0acdd6889ca297.jpg

I have traced my pressure loss to this point. It leaks where the tube enters the nut. I tried to tighten it but it didn't budge. Access is poor. Any advice would be appreciated. Is this a compression fitting or a flare?

Oxygen leak detection... liquid snoop

http://www.scottecatalog.com/equipspc.nsf/24c78b07bd0fb8cc8525696100417fc4/3b74fa0d8cb9ff3a8525686b00691378?OpenDocument

The bits and pieces of the O2 system are pretty specific.  In the event they are Compression fittings they need to come from the same supplier to work properly.  Matching the curves and surfaces....

If they work like a Compression fitting, the parts being tightened together leave a dent in the other surface making re-tightening them not always possible.

There are a few threads around here about O2 systems and where Mooney buys theirs from...  the Scot catalog probably has all the proper parts.

The MSC is probably an expensive way to get this done right.  

A maintenance manual probably has the details in it.

PP thoughts only, I don't have an O2 system yet...

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam

• 1 year later...

A year and a half later I realized I had not posted the final answer. It is indeed a Swagelok compression fitting. Some prior mechanic had over-tightened the fitting bottoming out the nut, crushing the ferrule inside. You can see this in the pic. There should be a space between the nut and fitting. Swagelok sells a gauge to test for this. The Swagelok fitting was replaced, less than $10 parts cost.

• Like 2