Lycoming factory lead times for overhaul?

FloridaMan

20 years ago they were spot on.  Clearly you need a more current experience!  Good luck with the OH.  You're probably out of the "interest window" for my Rocket now, as it will need an OH in the not too distant future.  I'm sure you don't want to manage two OH's in that time frame.   :>)

Tom

Are they OHing your particular engine?

Comparing to Continental reman... two weeks...

To get a new prop took something like six weeks...

They have to have a lot of parts and sub-assemblies on the shelf and ready to go...

In the case of the factory reman, they have them 90% assembled and ready to go already...

Call and ask how they do it so quickly?

Don't forget the shipping at either end takes a few days...

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam

They don't build engines beforehand any more. It takes that long to get one unless it's a particular time in the summer where they shut down two weeks. Then it takes 2 months to get one.  Ours wasn't left hanging on a stand half finished and got all rusty.  They painted over the rust. 

27 minutes ago, jetdriven said:

They don't build engines beforehand any more. It takes that long to get one unless it's a particular time in the summer where they shut down two weeks. Then it takes 2 months to get one.  Ours wasn't left hanging on a stand half finished and got all rusty.  They painted over the rust. 

As a matter of fact, it is that time of summer where they shut down. This time though it's only one week at the beginning of July. Who'd you buy yours through?

Edited by Antares

1 hour ago, Yooper Rocketman said:

20 years ago they were spot on.  Clearly you need a more current experience!  Good luck with the OH.  You're probably out of the "interest window" for my Rocket now, as it will need an OH in the not too distant future.  I'm sure you don't want to manage two OH's in that time frame.   :>)

Tom

You never know. I might still just go with a top or a good mid-time used engine if the right Rocket came along. 

...or sell her needing an engine and let the next buyer decide if my next airplane shows up on the market. 

Edited by Antares

I purchased a factory reman from Lycoming in Nov '14.    The actual delivery time was 11 weeks vs the 6 weeks quoted.     Based on the date on the test run sheet, the engine was assembled in 4 weeks.   Apparently it took another 6 weeks for them to paint and prepare it for shipping.

Bill

17 minutes ago, nosky2high said:

I pulled my engine on 1 June and will have it back, zero SMOH, on Monday, 19 June. The major overhaul includes installing all new Lycoming cylinders, the case & crank checked out okay, rebuilt cam, new starter, carb, fuel pump oh, I took care of the mags and vacuum pump myself; all nice and clean with a fresh coat of paint ready to go back on my plane next week. 

Thank you Aero Engines of Winchester. There is no better value and I have no doubts as to the reliability and high quality craftsmanship of Tom and his team of experts.

I'll be able to provide plenty of feedback regarding the break-in which shouldn't take long since we fly over 200+ hours a year.

What did Tom quote you for the overhaul? 

7 hours ago, nosky2high said:

I pulled my engine on 1 June and will have it back, zero SMOH, on Monday, 19 June. The major overhaul includes installing all new Lycoming cylinders, the case & crank checked out okay, rebuilt cam, new starter, carb, fuel pump oh, I took care of the mags and vacuum pump myself; all nice and clean with a fresh coat of paint ready to go back on my plane next week. 

Thank you Aero Engines of Winchester. There is no better value and I have no doubts as to the reliability and high quality craftsmanship of Tom and his team of experts.

I'll be able to provide plenty of feedback regarding the break-in which shouldn't take long since we fly over 200+ hours a year.

This is who I am looking towards now after some of the feedback I've gotten from other owners regarding factory overhauls. Still waiting for the quote, but it seemed to be better than most of the shops and the people I know who use them are savvy owners and have had many, many engines overhauled by them. 

So it looks like I'm going with the folks of Aero Engines of Winchester. I lose my factory overhauled core by doing so it'll have to get exchanged for a reman next time, but I've heard such good things about the Winchester guys and even six weeks of lead time for the factory is a bit excessive. Whichever one of you decides to buy my airplane when I go to sell it will just have to live with a low time overhaul and you won't get roller lifters. Had I decided to just go ahead and do it last year, I would've been within the 20 year window and would've saved a couple thousand on a factory overhaul on top of it. 

21 minutes ago, jetdriven said:

How much cheaper is Winchester than factory overhaul?  

Aero of Winchester is 23,500+800 for shipping and a 2-3 week lead time. Factory is just a hair under $29,000 and around $800 for shipping with an estimated lead time of 5-6 weeks, but they're doing their annual factory closing at the beginning of July. If the factory was a true overhaul exchange to where they could send me an engine and I could have it in a few days, I would have gone that route, but from what I'm seeing, the 6 week lead time might be closer to three months. 

Edited by Antares

On 6/16/2017 at 11:17 PM, jetdriven said:

The Problem is the factory engine has roller tappets but it's only available through them.  It does solve the lifter spalling issue but it's also not cheap. 

Have those been a big improvement?

15 minutes ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

At that price I am assuming that that Aero of Winchester quote includes factory new cylinders?  

Jim

Yes, new Lycoming cylinders, new lifters and new camshaft. 

10 minutes ago, rbridges said:

Have those been a big improvement?

Supposedly it eliminates the spalling issue. The engines are also known to be a little smoother, but I've also heard that they feel like they make slightly less power with the new camshaft profile. 

• Like 1