Should I move?

steingar

17 hours ago, co2bruce said:

I can't believe how cheap your hangers all are. In S Florida they are like $650 per month, $5 + for fuel. $100 hamburgers are like $150 here!

Haven't you heard?  Where we live is flat as a soccer pitch, gets freezing cold in the winter and boiling hot in the summer.  Consequently no one wants to live here and we get cheap stuff.  We rather like it that way, keeps the place mercifully clear of Floridians. :D  Oh, and emergency landing fields are really easy to come by.  

18 minutes ago, mooniac15u said:

The FBO is under new ownership. I don't have experience with their maintenance department yet but I'm cautiously optimistic. 

My lease runs through December. Have you found a way to get out of yours?

I am out of TZR August 1, talked to the real estate lady this morning.  Gotta pay for two hangars in July, but I just sent back a signed lease.

This seems like a real no-brainer for you.  20 minutes closer means 40 minutes more flying (trip there and back) per trip, which sounds like a premium for you.  You can come home from work and run out for a quick evening flight, get in a few landings.  Thats what the guys I know in your neck of the woods do.

As far as cautious optimism, don't forget that TZR hasn't worked right since Roger left for OSU.  Think about the guys who've been rotating through.  Moreover, at the rate they're been rotating through, even if the new guy's good, how long is he going to last?

I can only promise one thing.  The first day you're stuck with a maintenance problem that no one has the time or inclination to fix, you'll wish you'd boogied when you had the chance.

Edited by steingar

The apartment I rent for my oldest across the street from the student union at OSU is $1100/month for 2 bedrooms. My youngest is at sdsu in San Diego and I pay more than that to share a 4 bedroom apartment that requires a shuttle to campus. 

But my oldest had to learn how to tell if a girl is a hottie while she's wearing a massive jacket (look at the ankles) while my youngest at San Diego the girls were wearing next to nothing when I went on parents day when their dads were there 

-Robert 

31 minutes ago, RobertGary1 said:

The apartment I rent for my oldest across the street from the student union at OSU is $1100/month for 2 bedrooms. My youngest is at sdsu in San Diego and I pay more than that to share a 4 bedroom apartment that requires a shuttle to campus. 

But my oldest had to learn how to tell if a girl is a hottie while she's wearing a massive jacket (look at the ankles) while my youngest at San Diego the girls were wearing next to nothing when I went on parents day when their dads were there 

-Robert 

It's pretty much just bars across from the union. Does he live at the Newport?

51 minutes ago, RobertGary1 said:

-Robert 

I recall riding my motorcycle down to SDSU to buy another.  I almost ran into a post.

All that said, we do have seasons here, honest.  I hope your oldest is enjoying his experience and getting your money's worth.

2 hours ago, steingar said:

Haven't you heard?  Where we live is flat as a soccer pitch, gets freezing cold in the winter and boiling hot in the summer.  Consequently no one wants to live here and we get cheap stuff.  We rather like it that way, keeps the place mercifully clear of Floridians. :D  Oh, and emergency landing fields are really easy to come by.  

I am out of TZR August 1, talked to the real estate lady this morning.  Gotta pay for two hangars in July, but I just sent back a signed lease.

This seems like a real no-brainer for you.  20 minutes closer means 40 minutes more flying (trip there and back) per trip, which sounds like a premium for you.  You can come home from work and run out for a quick evening flight, get in a few landings.  Thats what the guys I know in your neck of the woods do.

As far as cautious optimism, don't forget that TZR hasn't worked right since Roger left for OSU.  Think about the guys who've been rotating through.  Moreover, at the rate they're been rotating through, even if the new guy's good, how long is he going to last?

I can only promise one thing.  The first day you're stuck with a maintenance problem that no one has the time or inclination to fix, you'll wish you'd boogied when you had the chance.

I couldn't do it. I told them thanks but no thanks. I'll tell myself it was the rent and higher priced fuel but in reality I'm a Hawkeye and I just can't bring myself to park my Mooney at Ohio State. :lol:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mcstealth said:

Be Fore Egypt? :) 

You got one word right . . . The first one needs a different vowel and double consonant. The second has the right number of letters, then add "-ing" to it . . . .  :D

Maybe you're just too young for the reference. Steve Martin, wasn't it? Or did he only walk like an Egyptian?

• Like 1