PIREP request on 51AR

cnoe

Has anybody flown their Mooney into the grass strip at Byrd's Adventure Center in NE Arkansas? I'll be landing there on Friday barring any significant rain in the area (none in the forecast).

I've got a couple good reports on field condition but would appreciate any comments from other Mooney drivers (or any other first-hand knowledge).

My J's been on grass a few times and I'm aware of the issue with tall grass and lower gear-doors. Slow full up-elevator taxiing is also understood. I'm just curious if there's anything else about this field (other than high terrain to the west) that may be of interest.

Thanks!

51AR.png

I wouldn't hesitate to land my 252 on an established grass runway. Gopher holes are plentiful out in the pasture, but are certainly rare on regularly used, well maintained, grass strips. I know of several Mooneys based on grass strips and have been for years without incident.

Mooneys mostly do not have to worry about landing distances cause if you can meet take off performance limits from a runway you surely have enough room to land ( as long as your on speeds of course) remember every knot over speed adds 100' to your landing distance
That runway is 1900 ft with a 600 ft rough cut extension, rising terrain, no runway condition reports, owner states on website "bush pilots only". That tells me rough surface, cause everything else about runway is printed. It's not something for me, No outs.
But I would like to know how it goes

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Living in Arkansas, I have a lot of friends that fly into Byrd's... none in a Mooney.  One friend has taken his Bonanza in there, another took his Seabee, and another took him and his wife in their J-3 cub (90 HP).  They all said the same.  The strip is a little bouncy but not bad.  Just don't Plan on using the 600 feet as it is really rough.  The J3 was on a very warm day and he mentioned he didn't know if they were going to clear the trees as they were close to gross.  I would go in as light as possible.  Fuel after leaving as there are a couple of fields with fuel within 10-15 minute flight.