Cirrus Jet Economics

Jeff_S

I have to admit, the Cirrus Jet is kind of sexy. To think that one could step into a turbine airplane and feel comfortable in fairly short order is kind of neat. If I had a couple of million lying around I'd be tempted.

But for fun this morning I ran the performance numbers as best I could compared to my Ovation. I couldn't find this data outright, but based on their range and weight numbers I estimated that in economy cruise you'll burn 47 GPH for a speed of 240 KTAS at 28,000'. In my Ovation Economy Cruise at 15,000' is 170 KTAS and 12 GPH. So, practically 4x the fuel burn for 1.4x the speed.

But hey, if you can afford the jet, you ought not be worrying about buying fuel. I still think they're gorgeous airplanes.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, gsengle said:

In fairness it can also carry 7...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not a very honest 7 though. You won't take much fuel.

Let's be honest here. If I could afford one you couldn't get out of my way fast enough if you got between me and a cirrus dealer.

Reasonable performance, a real all weather airplane, pressurized, and jet a is cheaper than avgas.

If you can afford the plane it probably doesn't matter but I wonder how much insurance costs.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gsengle said:

Nah I'd want a TBM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Acquaintance of mine doesn't have much good to say about the tbm. I never got specifics but I'd take that too. Or a Malibu or a jetprop, or a pc12. When it comes to things I cannot afford I'm not picky :D

The eclipse 550 looks slick too. Auto throttles! 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jeff_S said:

But for fun this morning I ran the performance numbers as best I could compared to my Ovation. I couldn't find this data outright, but based on their range and weight numbers I estimated that in economy cruise you'll burn 47 GPH for a speed of 240 KTAS at 28,000'. In my Ovation Economy Cruise at 15,000' is 170 KTAS and 12 GPH. So, practically 4x the fuel burn for 1.4x the speed.

Ovation, 12 gph, 170 knots. 

Ranger, 9 gph, 145 knots. 

delta = +33% fuel,  +17%% speed. Speed increase is one half of the extra fuel. 

So I understand how you feel about the additional performance by that funny, bloated-looking jet thing. Even though the difference between your long body and my short one is less pronounced . . . .  ;)

I'd like to thank...

Jeff for doing the math...

PV for the turbine logic on the affordability curve...

Tom who shares the turbine Lancair math with us...

And Hank for keeping it real...

Go long term Mooney ownership!

+1 Turbine Mooney before I hit the Octogenarian club...  there is still room to dream...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, carusoam said:

I'd like to thank...

Jeff for doing the math...

PV for the turbine logic on the affordability curve...

Tom who shares the turbine Lancair math with us...

And Hank for keeping it real...

Go long term Mooney ownership!

+1 Turbine Mooney before I hit the Octogenarian club...  there is still room to dream...

Best regards,

-a-

Agree to all the points except my request is for a turbine PRESSURIZED Mooney.  

My girlfriend complains about wearing oxygen.  

My girlfriend complains more about flying in the clouds than wearing oxygen 

I don't like it when she complains while we are flying. 

I do like my girlfriend. She doesn't complain about all that much.  And she does fly with me. 

Help me out here Mooney!

brad. 

• Like 4

As long as we're doing the math... there are many more girlfriend options than airplane options. Of course the operating expense of girlfriends is much higher than a comparable aircraft... but still lower than a wife.

• Like 17

2 hours ago, Jeff_S said:

I have to admit, the Cirrus Jet is kind of sexy. To think that one could step into a turbine airplane and feel comfortable in fairly short order is kind of neat. If I had a couple of million lying around I'd be tempted. But for fun this morning I ran the performance numbers as best I could compared to my Ovation. I couldn't find this data outright, but based on their range and weight numbers I estimated that in economy cruise you'll burn 47 GPH for a speed of 240 KTAS at 28,000'. In my Ovation Economy Cruise at 15,000' is 170 KTAS and 12 GPH. So, practically 4x the fuel burn for 1.4x the speed.

When you factor in Jet-A is half the price per gallon of 100LL, it makes the economics look very different. Now you're looking at 2x the fuel cost, plus pressurization, plus weather, plus less fatigue plus less of your valuable time . . . 

1 hour ago, Hank said:

Or, 9 GPH for 160 KTAS at 10,000 ft, 175 KTAS at 17,500 ft in a 231. You can't beat a "K" model running LOP for efficiency in the Mooney line.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KLRDMD said:

Or, 9 GPH for 160 KTAS at 10,000 ft, 175 KTAS at 17,500 ft in a 231. You can't beat a "K" model running LOP for efficiency in the Mooney line.

When I discovered I could run a 252 for the same fuel costs as a C... I started shopping.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hank said:

I do the same math in the 231 with the same results. At 10,000 ft I can get 160 KTAS on 9.0 GPH. Going to 9.5 GPH gets me 165 KTAS (5.5% increase in fuel flow for a 3% increase in airspeed). Going to 10.0 GPH gets me 170 KTAS (11% increase in fuel flow for a 6% increase in airspeed). I generally fly at 9.0 GPH :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BradB said:

I do like my girlfriend. She doesn't complain about all that much.  And she does fly with me. 

Help me out here Mooney!

brad. 

Brad sounds like mine but me and girlfriend been married 47+ years, oh god they said it wouldn't last. The best piece of equipment is her IPad keeps her busy for three hours before she goes bunko, prior to IPad bananas started pre2 hours.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, BradB said:

Help me out here Mooney!

brad. 

Xanax man... Xanax.

Also, guys been trying to sell a m22 with a spare parts engine for years. Do eeeeeet

Still convinced a p337 with boots is the hidden gem on the market. What's better than one t360 running lean of peak? TWO t360s running lop!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Hank said:

So I understand how you feel about the additional performance by that funny, bloated-looking jet thing. Even though the difference between your long body and my short one is less pronounced . . . .  ;)

50cc Honda scooter - 0.145 gph, 15.5 knots.  Mogas.  Economy king.

8 hours ago, BradB said:

Help me out here Mooney!

brad. 

You've got a keeper there -- a GF who likes to fly with you. 

Buy her a turboprop.  

• Like 2