Someone who speaks French

11 hours ago, jkhirsch said:

There's a particular word that caught my interest, any help is appreciated,

I googled about all of the googling I cared to do this morning and couldn't find the text or source of the written caption on this photo:translate.jpg.6fe50e4fe261eddb4ed808df11a053cb.jpg

So I happen to be working with a couple of French SOF guys on my current deployment.

" For my friend Hirsch"

"In remembrance of wonderful days"

and the arrow "mirage of a bar"  

• Like 1

My half French co-worker couldn't quite make out the writing well enough to translate, but he forwarded the picture to his mother and a friend. Here's what we've got so far.

Pour l'ami Hirsch
For my friend, Hirsch
En souvenir de journées mélancoliques
In memory of melancholy times
Mirage d'une ?
Mirage here?

3 hours ago, AaronDC8402 said:
Pour l'ami Hirsch
En souvenir de journées mélancoliques
Mirage d'une ?
Mirage here?

Thank you very much! It looks like the really small part says 'mirage q' un car'

I would love to figure out who this Hirsch character is. I have seen this photo without the caption and with the caption and I wonder if it is attributed to Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.

This is the plane: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caudron_Simoun

Edited by jkhirsch
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tigers2007 said:

Interesting history...

51f1cb15c8bccaf9e6e31be0b6611f38.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow! I didn't realize just how much our own @carusoam got around! And I thought his name was "Anthony" not "Jacques Strop"!!  :lol:  I have to wonder if he's any kin to "Jock Strap" over here???

• Like 1

Checked with my great uncle...

The phrases recorded on the photograph were some snarky banter between two engineers, one responsible for the power plant, the other, responsible for the airframe.

The powerplant engineer clearly is not impressed with the Early Mooney's exposed cross sectional area.  He mentioned that the Early Mooney should have been able to glide back to home base from 10k'...

The airframe guy said at a minimum, there should be a mechanical means to put the gear down when the engine fails...

The pilot did a pretty good job. Nothing but a piece of fabric between his feet and the desert floor.  He mumbled something about 'those Jet Hot coatings, really work' - Jacque Force

Fun stuff, not real news...

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam
  • Like 1