NOSTALGIA---IS IT LOVE OR STUPIDITY?

In the mid 70's I found a derelict 66 Super sitting in Fall River, MA.  Flat tires, tired paint bad interior but good engine and prop.  I bought it and ferried back to Strawberry Plains, TN.  At that time I had lots more energy than now so it didn't take too long to bring it up to date. Interior, new paint, Rajay, New top of the line avionics. Called radios then, Collins Microline.  Hard to imagine all the kids spent many hours in the back seat.  Although I really liked it, other things got in the way and I sold her.  Years later I was in a small town in Louisiana and she was sitting unloved again. Flat tires and all.  I bought it and went through the whole process again. This time somewhat slower.  Later a I met a gentleman who spent lots of time going to the mountains of Mexico and because of the turbocharger he convinced me he could not live without my little jewel.  Lots of money helped too. Sooo for many years I have bemoaned and missed her.   Now I am much older and much slower.  Periodically I go to the faa website and pull up the present owner which for many years has been the man I sold to.  I sent him inquiries over the years but nothing in return. a couple weeks ago I went to that same old website and lo and behold it had changed hands.  I contacted the present owner who turned out to be an extremely nice FBO who said "sure I will sell it but you better come look first".  I had seen her derelict a couple times before but nothing I couldn't ferry.  This time she is beyond that point so I plan to pull it apart and use a trailer.  So is it an old love affair or just plain stupidity?  JerryP

n6068q 1.jpg

• Like 17

Just now, acpartswhse said:

So is it an old love affair or just plain stupidity?

Personally I think it's a great story. If you have the time and finances that's great to bring her back to life. The only way the story gets better is if you have a kid or grandkid that you can pass the plane on to at some point. That would make for some really great story telling when people ask them about their plane and they get one of those far off looks and begin to talk about how their dad/grandpa/uncle (fill in the blank) saved her not once or twice, but three times.

• Like 1

Actually when you do sell it again... you always do... just be sure and sell it to someone who will not just keep it running, but will take it to the next level. They are all here on MooneySpace. Just look for E's or F's with glass panels. Either sell it to those guys or you just have to keep it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EricJ said:

I've known guys that had girlfriends like that.  

I am afraid this thread is taking a turn for the worst, but what I remember from my days in the Phoenix area is that Scottsdale seems to be the Epicenter for overhauls / installation of aftermarket parts on older models…

• Like 2

Just now, acpartswhse said:

I thought same but Tillmon says he is still around

Weird. Well, like you say you've got the parts on hand. In fact you better stock up in case you need something you don't have. Especially 231 parts in case I need, uh, I mean in case you need something.

• Like 1