NOSTALGIA---IS IT LOVE OR STUPIDITY?

2 hours ago, acpartswhse said:

Looks like I am going to have to use the stuff myself as not too many of the sites Mooneys are in need of parts

I'm always looking for something. You haven't had what I needed. Some day you will.

Great story. Glad to see you saving a plane. 

Like others have said, that plane has had an unbelievable run of bad luck with its previous owners. Need to sell it to someone like marauder who keeps his planes for centuries. Lol. 

• Like 1

I have bought my airplane twice.  Once in 1993, a brand new MSE.  I flew it for four years and then sold it to buy a Cessna 310.  I flew that for nine years before fuel and maintenance costs became excessive.  I sold it and went without for a couple of years, then saw my Mooney back on the market.  I picked it up in 2009 and upgraded it.  Sure felt good to get her back.  Here are the before and after pictures.  The first two are from 1993, the last three are current.

20110318131724_00065A.jpg

20110318131724_00056A.jpg

P1010719.JPG

IMG_0068.JPG

P1010746.JPG

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

slow progress.  tail and tail cone separated and both have all tubes and rod ends cleaned up and loosened up. starting on belly next. balance of plane still on the trailer as it is easier to get access to the bottom.  Won't strip or paint until all done then to Dominican Republic and Manual Mora who is the best in the business.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Can't believe that much rats nest could come from one hole, and almost to the end of the wing.  Imagine how many ribs he had to go through and other obstacles in order to get that far out.  Unbelievable that no damage from all that mess.  Inside of wing really clean. Now to figure out how to "mist" the ACF50 into those areas. Too thick to use normal methods.  Suggestions?

IMG_3260.JPG

IMG_3257.JPG

IMG_3258.JPG

• 2 months later...

Got the interior of the wings cleaned up and applied ACf50 and covers back on. New tires, tubes and brake discs and gear greased.  next rusted rods and bell cranks.  Ripped out the full Brittain panel mounted autopilot. tail cone interior finished.  engine cylinders removed for inspection.  crank, cam and all inside look new. 1200 since factory reman.   Lots and Lots to go.  Almost sorry i started because of lack of time to devote to it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Kinda lucked into some help.  I have a house in the Dominican republic full of throw away kids.  Many there. One kid, when he was six or seven would disappear early in the morning. Gone all day and come home about dark starved to death. Had been playing baseball.  All the rest of his life was same. school then baseball.  He become pretty good at it and now is 18 and high school is finished.  He signed here is USA as a Pitcher for the majors.  He has a couple months free  and is staying with me and loves airplanes. WOWWW.   MAYBE GET SOMETHING DONE ON 68q

• Like 3