201 cowl question

Just asking because the Lopresti is now installed now on my F... It is a thicker then my OEM and not quite flush on the sides. The 201 cowl being thicker explains this then. I guess on a 201 the Lopresti would be flush on the sides.

20170608_094906.jpg

See if you can find Byron... @jetdriven

When it comes to thickness and spacing, he put some effort into improving the worn areas around the hardware holding his 201’s cowling in place.

Probably need to revive the thread...  My F is faster than your 201 while you are at it...   :)

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam

How big is the step aft of your new cowl? You might be able to fair it in with some filler if it isn't too large. Not a big deal to leave it as is, though, in terms of having an edge proud to the air stream, which would eventually fail the paint.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, KSMooniac said:

How big is the step aft of your new cowl? You might be able to fair it in with some filler if it isn't too large. Not a big deal to leave it as is, though, in terms of having an edge proud to the air stream, which would eventually fail the paint.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

It is about half the width of the cowling edge. It is streamlined with the wind so I don't see any drag issues. 

It's really very minor but I was surprised it wasn't flush. Otherwise it is looking stellar.

Edited by Mooney_Mike
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, carusoam said:

See if you can find Byron... @jetdriven

When it comes to thickness and spacing, he put some effort into improving the worn areas around the hardware holding his 201’s cowling in place.

Probably need to revive the thread...  My F is faster than your 201 while you are at it...   :)

Best regards,

-a-

"My F is faster then your 201"  now that would be fantastic fun. Where is that thread? Hahaha

1 hour ago, Mooney_Mike said:

"My F is faster then your 201"  now that would be fantastic fun. Where is that thread? Hahaha

I hope you have good before and after numbers. I was always curious on the actual gain. As an faster F owner (I flight plan 150 but routinely see 152 KTAS), it would be interesting to see the actual gain. Also keep in mind there were other tweaks to the J over the years. I think the late model ones (post 1990) were 160+ machines.

29 minutes ago, Marauder said:

I hope you have good before and after numbers. I was always curious on the actual gain. As an faster F owner (I flight plan 150 but routinely see 152 KTAS), it would be interesting to see the actual gain. Also keep in mind there were other tweaks to the J over the years. I think the late model ones (post 1990) were 160+ machines.

I need to get rid of all these antennas all over this thing. That alone is prob costing me quite a few knots.

• Like 1

I need to get rid of all these antennas all over this thing. That alone is prob costing me quite a few knots.

Some of those can go under a one piece belly and others can go in wing tip fairings. You having that done?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

1 hour ago, Marauder said:

Some of those can go under a one piece belly and others can go in wing tip fairings. You having that done?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Perhaps in a year or two on the belly mod, I have spent enough $ for right now at least.

AF,

There is one MSC that built their name and reputation on updates and good ideas for older Mooneys...

I would expect that Lasar would be the place to go to get the details and hardware that will be required.

Have you seen the http://lasar.com/mods/

look for wing tip fairings with nav antenna...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1