Using Acronyms

Heard over the radio today a pilot saying "Descend at PD", as in Pilot's Discretion.

It's not listed as an official FAA acronym which I guess means it shouldn't technically be used.  Anyone heard this before?

What's the thought on using non-standard phrases?  I personally always say good morning/ good afternoon to ATC even though

it's unnecessary...and they often say have a good flight which is also non standard.

Monday Morning Musings: MMM.

Technically, ATC is required to use standard phraseology, pilots are not. That said, standard phraseology's purpose is to avoid miscommunication on both sides so it is preferable to use it when talking about instructions and clearances. "PD?" Well, is not a required feedback and it will probably be understood in context, although I prefer to respond in kind.

27 minutes ago, Bob - S50 said:

I often shorten Pilot Discretion to just Discretion.  As in, Discretion to 4000, N201CB.

That's a good one.  PD is too confusing I think, but discretion still gets the point across and saves time.

1 hour ago, Simon said:

PD is too confusing I think,

It isn't.

if controllers let something as small as saying PD bother them... they'd never make it through training let alone survive their coworkers.

you can leave discretion, PD and everything else out except descend to whatever, I doubt they'll care. If you didn't receive the PD part it makes no real difference to them, they have released that airspace to you and protected it already. Though if you don't read back the PD and don't descend, they may query you about it. The easy solution is to make it clear you received the instructions by reading it back but how you do so makes little difference outside of what is required.

• Like 5

True, controllers do get curious when they give me "pilot's discretion" descents, I repeat it back verbatim, and don't descend almost immediately. I like a nice, even 500 fpm, and if I have 7000 feet to lose, I'm starting down 16:00 minutes out, not at 20:19 or wherever he tells me I can start down when I want to. When it's my discretion, thank you, I'll decide when to descend; if you want me down, leave that to part out, I'll go down and level off, but I'd rather make a nice smooth descent to my destination. 

11 minutes ago, Hank said:

True, controllers do get curious when they give me "pilot's discretion" descents, I repeat it back verbatim, and don't descend almost immediately. I like a nice, even 500 fpm, and if I have 7000 feet to lose, I'm starting down 16:00 minutes out, not at 20:19 or wherever he tells me I can start down when I want to. When it's my discretion, thank you, I'll decide when to descend; if you want me down, leave that to part out, I'll go down and level off, but I'd rather make a nice smooth descent to my destination. 

that's one technique I guess?

Really if they're worried about something a crossing restriction is more appropriate to my mind but whatever gets the job done.

Actually what gets under my skin a little is issuing a descent and having them ask if that's PD. But only a little because now I have to restate it and pay attention to the readback. I won't let you know where the other goats are tied.

21 minutes ago, mooniac15u said:

Not really relevant to your question but technically PD isn't an acronym, it's an initialism. To be an acronym it has to be a pronounceable word. 

You're so right, although to my defense the FAA doesn't distinguish between acronyms and Initialisms. 

• Like 1

When I read back a PD clearance I include the concept that the manoeuvre (most commonly a descent) will be done at Pilot's Discretion.  That way none of them are confused if I start the descent in 2 or 5 or 10 miles.  Normally I will wish to stay high because going lower (normally close to or within terminal airspace) will subject me and mine to unnatural toing, froing, upping, and downing from mechanical turbulence (at or below 4000') when staying at or above 6000' allows the continuation of a smoother ride for a bit longer.

I've heard it with some rapid fire out of the New York Tracon.  I don't blame them for using it if it's understood by both pilot and controller.  "Descend peedee to 4" won't win any icao phraseology awards but it gets the point across.  

Ribbit.  Mochahagadi. 

• Like 2