Hypothetically heading to europe

The round the world flight had me curious. If a guy wanted to take the northern route to Europe are you forced to head to the ne us and then up to Canada or has anyone gone like Winnipeg across Canada to start the northern route? Pretty desolate area but sure saves a lot of miles.

There's a few guys here that have ferried across the Atlantic, maybe someone has done it that way.

I have planned the flight a few times just for the hell of it. you realize that 2/3 of the flight is just getting to the ocean. I haven't flown myself over that area, but I have flown it in the airlines a few times. It makes ditching in the north Atlantic look like a better deal. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Joe Zuffoletto said:

In small planes like Mooneys I've never heard of anyone doing it any other way besides NE North America to Greenland, Iceland and then Europe, except that some pilots go from North America to the Azores instead. I always figured the ferry pilots go where the airports are. :)

I'd be doing the same, only skipping going through Bangor me to gander or goose Bay and instead ducking across canukistan from cywg, provided I can actually get fuel.

If I can get 2 weeks off in a row next year I'll go.

Your last airport in North America will be Gander or St. Johns. How you get to either one of those places is up to you. Coming from the west, via Winnipeg certainly makes more sense than Maine.

I plan to be in Portland, ME with my Mooney during the month of July this year. I plan to fly it to PEI, Newfoundland, and other Canadian locations just to visit.

We're also planning a trip to Churchill in October and will likely go through Winnipeg.

Just now, carusoam said:

I believe the following to almost be true...

José @Piloto went Canada, Greenland, Iceland, Ireland in an O with no additional ferry tanks...

Best regards,

-a-

you can do the northern route without tanks no problem. Longest leg is less than 600NM.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, M20Doc said:

A customer of mine has done it in his Mooney and now 4 times in his C340.

This site might help with routes and info: http://www.220kts.com/ferry-flights/atlantic-ferry-routes.html

Clarence

the route across the Atlantic is pretty set in stone. I'm not buying a HF radio so I'm stuck with the northern route. I'm more curious why no one seems to duck across canada to get to the start of that route.

8 hours ago, peevee said:

the route across the Atlantic is pretty set in stone. I'm not buying a HF radio so I'm stuck with the northern route. I'm more curious why no one seems to duck across canada to get to the start of that route.

I'd guess because most crossers start in the midwest or northeast, so heading up the coast isn't as out of the way as it is for you folks out west. Get thee to Gander, how isn't very important as it's mostly over land. 

18 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

Your last airport in North America will be Gander or St. Johns. How you get to either one of those places is up to you. Coming from the west, via Winnipeg certainly makes more sense than Maine.

I plan to be in Portland, ME with my Mooney during the month of July this year. I plan to fly it to PEI, Newfoundland, and other Canadian locations just to visit.

We're also planning a trip to Churchill in October and will likely go through Winnipeg.

Paul, if you come near the capital (Ottawa) let me know. Note that most airports in Canada don't have any crew cars. What dates are you thinking about?

Yves