Really?

6 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

They just don't care....

You travel a bit more than I do but my experience has been that most do care. I prefer to self fuel but thats mostly to get the monroy tanks full, they don't know how to get enough fuel in there. It's just ignorance, not a lack of care.

2 hours ago, peevee said:

You travel a bit more than I do but my experience has been that most do care. I prefer to self fuel but thats mostly to get the monroy tanks full, they don't know how to get enough fuel in there. It's just ignorance, not a lack of care.

You are right, but it goes both ways. 

I also prefer self serve. If I use a truck I like to be there when they are doing it and I ask them to leave the caps off. 

I have had the caps put on so crooked that I needed a screw driver to pry the tab up and had to straighten the flange when I got home. 

You are also correct about them stopping an inch from the top, they do it every time.

my other pet peeve is the lycoming oil dip stick. Everybody over tightens it. Sometimes so tight I need to get a tool to get it open. This sometimes loosens it at the engine end no matter how tight the lock wire is.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

You are right, but it goes both ways. 

I also prefer self serve. If I use a truck I like to be there when they are doing it and I ask them to leave the caps off. 

I have had the caps put on so crooked that I needed a screw driver to pry the tab up and had to straighten the flange when I got home. 

You are also correct about them stopping an inch from the top, they do it every time.

my other pet peeve is the lycoming oil dip stick. Everybody over tightens it. Sometimes so tight I need to get a tool to get it open. This sometimes loosens it at the engine end no matter how tight the lock wire is.

I have never flown a Mooney with anything but a continental :)

3 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

This is a pet peeve of mine as well, especially on rentals.   The Arrow I rent has somebody that frequently does an extreme tightening of the dipstick.   Fortunately they keep a pair of pliers in the airplane, which a few times has been the only way we could get the dipstick out.   There's no reason for that and, as you say, it increases the chances of the tube unscrewing at the bottom.

14 hours ago, Jim Peace said:

Do line guys do this as a joke?  I hope so. 

IMG_7159.JPG

He wants to make sure you check the tanks before you leave. If you see this when you fill up at home, you know you didn't stick the tank at departure. Nothing like a little negative reinforcement . . .  :lol:

thought of this thread today, self serve pumps were OOS at my home drome. They would honor the price but I needed a full load for my flight tomorrow so I hopped to an airport 5 miles away to top up so I could pump it myself. But I saved $17 so there's that.

1 hour ago, Hank said:

My tabs point to the front. But the whole cap is white.

My whole cap is white as well so I guess it could go any direction.

1 hour ago, kpaul said:

Why would the tabs point forward?  Conventional wisdom would have them trailing with the flow of air not against.

My tabs are to the back and that would be my thought too. While I don't think the airflow would be able to lift them, I would think the tabs forward would have the possibility of airflow working to lift the tabs instead of holding them down. 

5 minutes ago, Hank said:

Now you're gonna make me drive by the airport and check!

Hank,

I bet they are towards the back.  That is how I was taught back in the 80, and the mil planes I fly also are that way, I think they even have a stamped arrow that says front just in case someone gets confused.

Hank,

I bet they are towards the back.  That is how I was taught back in the 80, and the mil planes I fly also are that way, I think they even have a stamped arrow that says front just in case someone gets confused.

Mine are pointing towards the back. Have been that way for 26 years.

430354e09d860e644a50d3bbe6d4bf48.jpg

Even has a nice label telling me which way is the front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2

I think the line guy was doing what he was taught and thinks your fuel caps were on wrong when painted. I would strip the cap and paint it white or red if it were my bird.

Edited by Sabremech
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, acpartswhse said:

Just looking at the photo I wonder if it were on correctly with the tab pointing to the rear if the stripes would not be crooked also??????????????????

I have one cap that is rotated like above(tab not pointing straight back) and one that is correct (tab points straight back), it doesnt bother me too bad or I would fix it....lol

Just now, peevee said:

Ours go tabs back. Quite honestly I didn't k ow you could put them in the other way round.

The only thing I can see is to remove the inspection panel, drill out the rivets in the filler neck and rotate the neck, then put it all back together....another reason mine is still clocked funny