Really?

11 hours ago, kpaul said:

Why would the tabs point forward?  Conventional wisdom would have them trailing with the flow of air not against

Mine lay back. That intense Super airflow over them could snap them open if they were the other way!

Before you go taking rivets out, there is an easy explanation for what happened...

I have seen this happen, I assumed it was the right cap put in the left wing or something that simple...  the caps themselves can be disassembled and reassembled with the odd rotation in this photo.

Maybe Jim can fill us in with the solution he used to put it back the way it was supposed to be...

Either way, the tabs are supposed to go straight back to close...

You can get it right while changing out the two O-rings that are in there...

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam
  • Like 2

All he had to do was line up the stripes and the cap would point to about 45 degrees inboard which is no big deal.  But to line up the cap they way he did just shows lack of attention.  

They should make this a question on the SAT test.....

17 hours ago, carusoam said:

the caps themselves can be disassembled and reassembled with the odd rotation in this photo.

Actually it's even more complicated than that.  The orientation of the filler neck is different in different Mooneys, such that different filler caps have a different orientation of the 3 "ears" to get the tab pointed to the rear.  If you buy a replacement cap off E-bay that looks right, without checking the exact part number, you wind up with a cap that has a caddywhumpus orientation.  Ask me how I know...

• Like 1

If it is pointed somewhat back like mine is 45 degrees or so it is OK.  We are not talking jet speeds here.....  some cars go faster than our planes.  

Plus with it painted and striped your eye does not catch it at all.

IMG_3776.JPG

Edited by Jim Peace

Vance,

I think you answered my last M20C mystery...

The last thing I did for my 65C was buy it replacement caps.  Of course... they were on the 45°

realistically, the problem wasn't the cap.  It needed a new SS fuel neck to mount into...

The good news... David was working on some new fuel caps with matching hardware to eliminate the mild steal fuel neck.  Some paint may be required...

thanks Jim, for the updated photo!

Best regards,

-a-

• 2 weeks later...

My experience has been that it is newbies on the line that do this stuff.  If you are decent to the line people they take pride in their work and will do a good job.  Newbies have cost me though.  One hooked a 28V charger to my 14V 231 and cooked the batteries.  When I came out, battery fluid was flowing out of the drain in the bottom of the plane.  The charger had to be forced to hook to my plane.  Another knocked the anti-siphon plate off its moorings, had to install a new tank neck to fix it, and it took Mooney a couple of months to send one so the plane was hung up in annual.  The favorite though, is to "fill" my tank until fuel sits on the anti-siphon and call that full.  I have found them that way, with as much as ten gallons of room in the tank, although usually it is about five.  Even five gallons is important to have at the end of a long trip, so I always always check the fuel level myself when I a line guy has filled it, and don't hesitate to make them bring the truck back and get it full if they haven't the first time around.  It usually takes a newbie a time or two to figure out how to do it correctly.