Aspen EFD1000Pro V Speeds Locked

Howdy MS;

Bought my K used, with the EFD already installed.  Just getting around to tinkering with all the capabilities and noticed the V Speeds appear to be locked (all set to 0).  I've only found references to that being selectable at programming time (locked or unlocked), but unclear on whether it is legal or even possible for a pilot to get into programming, unlock, set the v speeds and the relock (I guess)? 

If ok for a pilot to perform this change, any pointers?  Did some searching but not having much luck.

Thanks!
Vance

You can set those V speeds. Do you have the Aspen Pilot's Guide? The details are in chapter 5, paragraph 5.3 page 5-8.

I've forgotten whether you can make the change without going into Program mode and my Pilot's Guide is in the plane. In any case it's easy enough and it's very nice to have labels like Vle right on the AS tape.

edit: the note on page 5-11 indicates that if the V-speed settings were set to LOCKED at installation no editing is allow. If that is your case it is easy enough change. I suggest you call your favorite avionics shop or Aspen for instructions on getting into program mode. If neither of those folks can help, send me a PM.  

Howdy MS;
Bought my K used, with the EFD already installed.  Just getting around to tinkering with all the capabilities and noticed the V Speeds appear to be locked (all set to 0).  I've only found references to that being selectable at programming time (locked or unlocked), but unclear on whether it is legal or even possible for a pilot to get into programming, unlock, set the v speeds and the relock (I guess)? 
If ok for a pilot to perform this change, any pointers?  Did some searching but not having much luck.
Thanks!
Vance

You can set those V speeds. Do you have the Aspen Pilot's Guide? The details are in chapter 5, paragraph 5.3 page 5-8.
I've forgotten whether you can make the change without going into Program mode and my Pilot's Guide is in the plane. In any case it's easy enough and it's very nice to have labels like Vle right on the AS tape.
edit: the note on page 5-11 indicates that if the V-speed settings were set to LOCKED at installation no editing is allow. If that is your case it is easy enough change. I suggest you call your favorite avionics shop or Aspen for instructions on getting into program mode. If neither of those folks can help, send me a PM.  

Everyone one of the Aspens I have seen have them locked.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Expect some challenges if it is considered a primary instrument....

Similar to JPI primary instruments, having limits like red lines and yellow zones that can't be changed by the end user...

I would expect that there may be airspeed limitations that are set by the airframe manufacturer that have the same issue as the JPI....

The instrument manufacturer should be able to explain how to get it done properly.

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic or instrument guy...

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam

On 6/10/2017 at 11:45 AM, vance.k said:

Howdy MS;

Thanks!
Vance

As part of the installation process, the owner should have supplied the V-speeds to the installer on a signed form.  On the form accompanying the logbook entry, the various speeds are indicated and signed off by the shop.  Or should have been.

If not, the install manual details how to set them.  If I recall, you hold down a button when powering up the unit and go into a maintenance mode.