Panel Pre-Buy Check - Do One....

I've started this topic even though I now own a Beech because it doesn't matter what type of plane you are looking at buying - the same thing would apply. How many of the shops out there look at the plane's panel and electrical work (especially if there have been recent upgrades done) during a pre-buy or even during an annual inspection? I know we check for functionality, but as I found out, just because it works now doesn't mean it was done right.  The guy that did my pre-buy didn't and I haven't come across many that do. I don't think the ABS Service Clinics take a peek back there either on the Beechcraft side of the house. 

So where am I going with this. Well, I sent off my plane on May 12th to get some work done - i.e. ADSB transponder, new audio panel, GTN750, and a few old things removed. Thought the process was going to take two weeks. What I got back from the chief inspector upon opening the panel up almost made my heart stop.  Wiring everywhere......and to make matters worse, the biggest bundle of wires was not secured to the upper firewall and was literally riding up and down on the vertical yoke scissor when you pull on the yoke....not good in a center yoke Beech...  :o

Pictures from day 1 are below. They spent 4 full days so far trying to figure out what the last shop did and fix it.  I'm furious that a shop would do this kind of work and sign off on it.  They found wires crimped with pliers and not a crimping tool (most were barely hanging on), wires not secured to the proper channels on the fire wall, and the biggest issue - the HSI, GTN650, and KX165 were all tied to the same 20 amp circuit breaker instead of doing 5 separate ones like the STC calls for. One fails, they all fail....

So, and be honest, did anyone look behind the panel to see what was going on back there during your pre-buy? I would love to fly back to the shop that did this on the east coast and ask them WTH they were thinking!!!  Better yet, if the shop was told to do it on the cheap, I'd like to slap the CSOB owner because this could have killed someone.  To easy for something like this to start an electrical fire from loose or frayed wires or get caught on the control yoke. 

To be fair, the previous owner was flying under the same conditions because it was the previous owner to him that had the upgrades done. If I showed him these pictures, he'd probably have a heart attack.

Overall, it took 4 weeks to fix everything, but at least I'll have confidence going forward now.

Bottom line, make sure you take a peek behind the pretty panel before buying....

Cheers,
Brian

IMG_8642.JPG

N7175N 16 May 04.JPG

N7175N Finishing up 003.JPG

IMG_8820.JPG

IMG_8842.JPG

• Like 2

Really good point, Brian.

When I got the O, the PPI specifically included operations checks of all the nav and com equipment. DMax and I discussed all the details after he flew it to his shop...

At the time, my plane had very few electrical additions... I was happy to know that most everything was working. My PPI cost a lot to find a bulb burned out on an indicator...:)

Will add this to the list for planes that have had major STC surgery...

Are you staying with the mechanical Fuel Flow/pressure (?), MP and RPM gauges?

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam

Just now, dlthig said:

Did you do a W/B before and after?

Yes.  Only gained a couple pounds of useful load back since not a lot of wiring was removed -  just reorganized, had poor/questionable connections repaired, and all wiring labeled better for future upgrades. 

Cheers,

Brian