Austin Parking Advice

11 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

Friends don't let friends park at KAUS. KDEC is the place to go... unless you're gonna be here for a week or more and want to get some work done while you're here. Then land at Smithville where JD will put you in his hangar. Of course you can get your oil changed, or engine monitor installed, or other work done by the crew at SWTA. Depending on the day, you might even get a ride into Austin and not have to Uber.

:D

Texas seems like a Mooney maintenance paradise.  It feels like a shame to go there without getting some work done.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all this good info!  We need to fly to Austin next week for a conference and were thinking of KAUS and Atlantic (yeah, I know... but I like them).  But I looked into KEDC and just got off the phone with Henriksen Jet Center... they were very nice, so it looks like that's where we'll be headed.

39 minutes ago, Ross Taylor said:

Thanks for all this good info!  We need to fly to Austin next week for a conference and were thinking of KAUS and Atlantic (yeah, I know... but I like them).  But I looked into KEDC and just got off the phone with Henriksen Jet Center... they were very nice, so it looks like that's where we'll be headed.

And you don't have to be sandwiched in between SWA 737s.... just slightly intimidating.

16 hours ago, Ross Taylor said:

Frankly, I like both. If you want convenience and money is no object, then KAUS is the way to go. You also get to land with the big boys. The tower there tried to kill me once by giving me 35L and then after I was almost on final switching me (and I could sense a pucker factor of 10+ in the controllers voice) to 35R for 'traffic'! I landed with a 737 IIRC.

Anyway, KEDC is just an aviator's mecca. The terminal is one of the most beautiful of any in the world and the line crews are TOTALLY Mooney savvy. You also pull up in the shade (see photo, red arrow is N5976Q), a BIG plus in Tejas. Ozarka in the fridge and fresh baked chocolate chip cookies--what's not to love? Only issue is it being so far from the city center. I frankly will never forgive Austin for shutting down Mueller--my house in Hyde Park is less than ten minutes from it :(

Logan at KEDC May 2017.jpg

• Thanks 1