Austin Parking Advice

Good afternoon all! Weather permitting, I am renting a plane from the school to take to AUS next Thursday with my family from DWH. Just an overnight trip. I would rather not take fuel but if the dollars make sense compared to ramp fees, I will. I will be in a 172 and approximate 9-10 gal of fuel burned. Not much. Atlantic and Signature are both on site. Has anyone had positive experiences with either one of these in Austin and recommend one over the other? Or, know of an alternate spot to tiedown? Any advice appreciated!

Alan

5 minutes ago, Zwaustin said:

I prefer Atlantic personally at Austin. If you don't mind flying into San Marcos there are no ramp fees, cheaper fuel and it is a great airport, I use Redbird. Either way, enjoy your trip.

Ok good to know. I should have clarified that my sister-in-law will be picking us up. We are staying downtown for her graduation from the DPS academy so asking her to drive further would be out. As for San Marcos, my Dad works at that airport for Berry Aviation. He is their IT guy. I haven't been there in years but it was a nice place!

4 minutes ago, N6758N said:

Why not go to Austin Executive instead of KAUS? The FBO there is excellent. @gsxrpilot might be able to provide more help

Same as above but I'd love to try Exec at some point when more time allows.

Exec is where I go now...I sure miss the old Mueller and original Exec options. You better call ahead to Atlantic and signature to get their total fees so you won't be surprised. You might not be able to buy enough fuel to avoid them.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Very good advice. Thanks! Here are the results:

Atlantic         Signature

Ramp                              $40*                   $30**

Various fees                   $15                    $5

Tiedown                          $20                   $28

*waived with 15 gallon purchase

**waived with 10 gallon purchase

All in all its about par for the course. Looks like Signature is the better option in this case taking fuel. Thanks again for the help!

5 hours ago, BigAl said:

Very good advice. Thanks! Here are the results:

Atlantic         Signature

Ramp                              $40*                   $30**

Various fees                   $15                    $5

Tiedown                          $20                   $28

*waived with 15 gallon purchase

**waived with 10 gallon purchase

All in all its about par for the course. Looks like Signature is the better option in this case taking fuel. Thanks again for the help!

You need to add fuel price/gal to that table. Then you'd know the actual cost at each.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

You need to add fuel price/gal to that table. Then you'd know the actual cost at each.

Great news! I confirmed from the school today that since I am renting the airplane "wet," that I will be reimbursed for fuel. I just need to provide the receipt upon return.

It surprises me that they're okay with reimbursing you for fuel at $6.55/g when the retail price at DWH is only $4.49/g (and they likely get a discount off that). At either KEDC or KGTU the tie-down fee is only $10/nt with no other fees assessed or purchases required.

As a proud member of the CB Club the high fees and exorbitant fuel pricing keep me from patronizing these mega-FBOs. I frequent the FBOs that support GA and have I no issue paying a reasonable fuel premium at them. The drive to downtown from KEDC is the same at 20 minutes and only 10 minutes more from KGTU (in my experience and also according to Google maps). Just sayin'.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I was led to believe that KAUS was much closer. After you pointing it out and me doing my own research it's clear that the drive is the same. That changes things. I would love to support GA also but you have to remember that I am not as traveled as you guys are and that's why I'm asking for the advice. With that being said, will it be easy for her to find and pick us up? Anything I need to know flying into Exec?

I called and talked to Sierra at Henrickson(KEDC). She was incredibly helpful and attentive even after knowing I would be arriving in a C-172. She took the time to answer my questions and told me what to expect when I arrived. She offered to even hanger the plane for cheaper than what it would cost to just land and tiedown overnight at KAUS. I hope to frequent this place in the future. Signature and Atlantic should be ashamed.

• Like 3

Austin Exec is very nice and you will get great service there.  They can likely connect you with a car rental company.   KGTU is towered with two runways and reasonably nice.  It's a city airport, with a nicer than average city FBO.    I'm not sure about a rental car. I would expect Uber or Lyft to work at either, but have no personal experience. 

• Like 1

On 6/9/2017 at 8:30 PM, chrisk said:

KGTU is towered  ... with a nicer than average city FBO.    I'm not sure about a rental car. 

My last 3 trips to Austin have been to KGTU. "GTU Jet" has similar service to KEDC but with a bit less glamour. They offer cars from either Hertz or Avis and run about $10-$15 less per day than at Austin Exec. Same overnight tie-down fee ($10). GTU is adjacent to I-35 and though a bit further out of town it only adds 10 minutes driving time due to the close proximity to the interstate.

Both facilities are great in my opinion; I've only recently chosen to use KGTU due to the significant savings on rental cars.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cnoe said:

My last 3 trips to Austin have been to KGTU. "GTU Jet" has similar service to KEDC but with a bit less glamour. They offer cars from either Hertz or Avis and run about $10-$15 less per day than at Austin Exec. Same overnight tie-down fee ($10). GTU is adjacent to I-35 and though a bit further out of town it only adds 10 minutes driving time due to the close proximity to the interstate.

Both facilities are great in my opinion; I've only recently chosen to use KGTU due to the significant savings on rental cars.

Excellent point.  Having a hangar at KGTU, I often forget about the non city FBO's.  I believe there are two, and you can find them on airnav.     Fuel at the city pump is by far the cheapest. ($3.40 right now) in the area.    That said, I'd probably use the fuel service and take 10 or 15 gallons.  

Anyway, KGTU is a nice airport.  Just tell the tower/ground where you want to go after landing.    They are super friendly and usually ask.  You may want to ask for a progressive taxi, as the taxiways are not well marked at the moment (construction for new taxiways).

On 6/9/2017 at 8:30 PM, chrisk said:

Austin Exec is very nice and you will get great service there.  They can likely connect you with a car rental company.   KGTU is towered with two runways and reasonably nice.

They are building a tower at KEDC as we speak/write :):( <choose>

20 minutes ago, HRM said:

They are building a tower at KEDC as we speak/write :):( <choose>

I'm surprised it took that long.  It's been a problem for Austin for some time, since planes climbing out of  KEDC are on the approach path to KAUS.  KEDC is only about 2 miles outside of the Class C.  A tower will help with coordination. --At least they are not talking about a new Bravo.

On 6/12/2017 at 1:46 PM, chrisk said:

I'm surprised it took that long.  It's been a problem for Austin for some time, since planes climbing out of  KEDC are on the approach path to KAUS.  KEDC is only about 2 miles outside of the Class C.  A tower will help with coordination. --At least they are not talking about a new Bravo.

I've always enjoyed the dep/app circus myself, frankly.

:o

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

I'm updating this thread for 2019 because I'm going to be in Austin for 5 days next week, going to a conference at the JW Marriott and will Uber into town from the airport. 

So is the Henriksen FBO at KDEC still the way to go?  And what are the fees like there?

Or should I give in to Signature or Atlantic at KAUS?

Used them last week - $10/night tie down still.  More planes than usual.  Think a nearby airport is having runway work so they’ve got some extra planes from that.  Have had overnight hanger space in the past but not this time. 

• Thanks 1

Friends don't let friends park at KAUS. KDEC is the place to go... unless you're gonna be here for a week or more and want to get some work done while you're here. Then land at Smithville where JD will put you in his hangar. Of course you can get your oil changed, or engine monitor installed, or other work done by the crew at SWTA. Depending on the day, you might even get a ride into Austin and not have to Uber.

:D

• Thanks 1

EDC is the way to go.  Was there a couple of weeks ago.  They waived my parking with a top off.  Great nice people.  Just give them more than 24 hrs if you need a rental car.  Uber / Lyft both good options if heading downtown. 

• Thanks 1