cnoe

(Anonymous) How cheap are you? Poll.  

61 members have voted

1. 1. When fueling my plane at the self-service pumps I...

• ... fill to the desired amount, roll up the hose, and go on my merry way.
    • ... (if nobody's watching) fill to the desired amount, turn off the pump, go back and squeeze the nozzle lever to drain as much from the hose as possible, roll up the hose, and go on my merry way.
    • ... (if nobody's watching) fill to the desired amount, turn off the pump, go back and squeeze the nozzle lever while my (buddy/kid/wife) raises up the hose from end to end to drain as much from the hose as possible, roll up the hose, and go on my merry way.
    • ... (I don't care who's watching) fill to the desired amount, turn off the pump, go back and squeeze the nozzle lever while my (buddy/kid/wife) raises up the hose from end to end to drain as much from the hose as possible, roll up the hose, and go on my merry way.

While filling the plane the other day I discovered the reason why it sometimes takes a moment for the fuel to get from the pump to the nozzle. I'm not judging anyone here; I'm just wondering if I'm the only naive member of the CB club who's missing an opportunity to save even MORE. :unsure:

* Sorry Tapatalk users, the poll likely isn't visible to you.

I used to do this when putting gas in my car. Now they are all overhead hoses . . .

Since the avgas hose is on the ground, we are filling low wing planes, and the hose is on a reel, I don't think I'm missing very much. I've never seen any gas come out the end of the hose after I set it down to put the cap back on, which confirms this idea in my mind.

P.S.--I leave the nozzle in the after letting go of the fill lever until gas stops running out the end. Then I set it on the pavement and out on the cap. No significant drippage, except when I don't wait quite long enough.

Edited by Hank

As an operator of my own fuel tank, I assure you that if you don't drain the nozzle (I'm not talking about draining 6' of hose), on a hot day, the nozzle will ooze avgas for the next hour.

You left off the option:

...fill to the desired amount, turn off the pump, go back and squeeze the nozzle lever to drain as much from the hose as possible, watch it splash out and run down the wing, curse, roll up the hose, spend the next 5 minutes cleaning up the fuel spill while (buddy/kid/spouse) chuckles softly, and go on my merry way.

I mean it could happen that way, or so I have heard. 

• Like 2

I never thought about it, but that long hose on a reel will probably hold a pretty good quantity of gas. It would probably take two of you to stretch the hose out and raise the "reel end" and drain it out to the plane.

Okay, I just ran some numbers (somebody please verify) and it looks like a hose with an i.d. of 1" would contain 1 gallon of fuel for every 24.5 feet of hose length. That's more than I imagined. I often have 35'-40' of hose laying out when I fill up so I guess I'm losing about a gallon-and-a-half every time I fill up after Raptor05121. :o

And of course we all drain the nozzle after releasing the handle. You hopefully only make that mistake once.

• Like 1

Dan, even us charter members of the CBMC (Cheap Bastards Member Club), have our limits. I don't fly out of my way to find cheap avgas, and I have never drained a hose either.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, DonMuncy said:

Dan, even us charter members of the CBMC (Cheap Bastards Member Club), have our limits. I don't fly out of my way to find cheap avgas, and I have never drained a hose either.

I planned my route from Furthest WV down to Sun n Fun by "shopping" for fuel pricing and Specials. Ended up in middle Georgia with 50 cent discount, free hot dog and half price tshirts. Also stopped 30 minutes into the return leg of a 3 hour summer XC, because SAV wanted to rape me at the truck. Stopped in Barnesville, SC, had a good lunch and saved over $2/gallon (a worthwhile stop!).

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DonMuncy said:

I just got bumped down a step in the pecking order of the CBMC. :) 

Just because my gas stop paid for lunch (with the wife) twice over?  ;)

Edited by Hank

28 minutes ago, Raptor05121 said:

I think I need to be nominated president at the next board meeting.

Red line dictates my daily routine when I go flying and I need gas. Pull plane out of hangar....

and continue pulling it all the way to the pump. By hand.

CBprez.JPG

Oh to be so young again!

If we all fail to drain the hose, everyone comes out even, except for the first guy in the morning (or those coming along after a period of time) which may have a little loss due to evaporation. If everybody drains, it comes out even. But if no one is draining, the guy who comes along and drains will come out ahead and short the next guy. All this is taking place after the meter on the pump. The FBO comes out even in every case.

• Like 2

I've never done this at an airport, but when I was 11 I had a bad ass mini bike. My friends and I used to go on these epic cross countries down the canal roads. Evading the law a time or two.

We didnt actually have any money, so we would stop at every gas station we passed and drain the hoses. 

• Like 1

I think I need to be nominated president at the next board meeting.

Red line dictates my daily routine when I go flying and I need gas. Pull plane out of hangar....

and continue pulling it all the way to the pump. By hand.
CBprez.thumb.JPG.194eb6639c54f720898b3b80ea37c97d.JPG

Do you also drag it to the run-up area before firing it up? Sorry, I couldn't help but ask.

Considering your sense of humor I don't mind "donating" (as BHFlyer suggested).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Do you also drag it to the run-up area before firing it up? Sorry, I couldn't help but ask.

Considering your sense of humor I don't mind "donating" (as BHFlyer suggested).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hey! He is vying for the presidency of the Cheap Bast&$d club. Betcha he is a hose drainer as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro