cnoe

(Anonymous) How cheap are you? Poll.  

61 members have voted

1. 1. When fueling my plane at the self-service pumps I...

• ... fill to the desired amount, roll up the hose, and go on my merry way.
    • ... (if nobody's watching) fill to the desired amount, turn off the pump, go back and squeeze the nozzle lever to drain as much from the hose as possible, roll up the hose, and go on my merry way.
    • ... (if nobody's watching) fill to the desired amount, turn off the pump, go back and squeeze the nozzle lever while my (buddy/kid/wife) raises up the hose from end to end to drain as much from the hose as possible, roll up the hose, and go on my merry way.
    • ... (I don't care who's watching) fill to the desired amount, turn off the pump, go back and squeeze the nozzle lever while my (buddy/kid/wife) raises up the hose from end to end to drain as much from the hose as possible, roll up the hose, and go on my merry way.

36 minutes ago, Raptor05121 said:

I still go to the gym. I'm down 6lbs. THATS A GALLON OF AVGAS!

Its pretty well level. Pushing on the backside of the blade, you can maintain walking pace with little effort (however much 'little effort' for a 25 y/o equates to you fellers I don't know :P ). However, the south turn onto the ramp is uphill for 20 feet and wears me out.

Don't worry Raptor if your lucky you will have the answer in another 25 to 30 years. As for the volume in the hose it would have to be un reeled its full length to work all the un dispensed fuel and most pumps I have used there is still a good bit of hose left on the reel by the time I get the hose to the far tank. So pulling it all off the reel would be a big waist of time for a small amount of gas. Not worth the trouble. But that's just me.

Honour.  Notice the correct spelling as it is a French word not English.    Don't forget the French invaded in 1066 so we have lots of French words in English, Mutton, table etc. 

Except the French spell it "Honneur"....both the English and the Americans have changed the original spelling...so neither one can claim any right of "correctness"!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Why cant the english teach their children how to speak, this verbal class distinction by now should be antique, if you spoke as she does sir instead of the way you do, well you would be selling fleurs too.  Why cant the english set a good example to others whos english is painful to the ears, in America they have not spoken it in years! .    Ps [mention=11136]Awqward[/mention] where in bonnie scotland are you.  I need to visit Glasgow soon with my daughter, perhaps we could meet up.   

I'm a good girl, I am!  PS: I'm based in Dubai now...but still have a house in Aberdeen....sold the Mooney unfortunately ...no use over here...

Cost-wise it's probably best to go in to Cumbernauld rather than EGPF...then train in...but if you want to go there I can put you in touch with a local who keeps his beautiful V-tail Bonanza there...he also owns a whisky distillery...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DonMuncy said:

This is an interesting twist to the thread. No knowing how anyone's pumping/metering system works, I have to make some guesses. It would appear unlikely the pump "knows" how much fuel is in the line (presumably already past the metering device). If that is the case, what the guy in front of you did, wouldn't be a factor. If that is the case, where did that $.81 of gas go? Perhaps there is some back-flow somewhere in the system that allows the pump to push some amount of fuel into the system before the customer gets it. Maybe my original assumption is wrong and the system does know it needs to fill the hose before you open the valve. It would be interesting to know how the system operates. I hope it is not a system design to charge the customer some amount before he gets any fuel.

The process at my home drome, until recently, was to fill and note on a piece of paper, but the finish reading of the last person before and your start reading had to match.  As did the reading of your finishing and the start reading of the next person.  Sort of a backwards way of auditing, but it worked.  

Today all that is gone.  Ministry of the Environment gave the club two years to get new (above ground) tanks to prevent "lead filled petroleum hydrocarbons" from dripping into the ground and pollute the local water table.  Now we have one really big tank and a PIN code machine to inextricably tie a person to the gas they pump.   Visitors require a line boy.  

If you are enough of a scumbag to short the next guy fuel , whether its 10 cents or ten dollars , you are a scumbag , Make any excuse you want , you re a thief.....The jails are full of innocent men , just ask any one of them...And just because its not enforced , does not make you any less of a scumbag...... This is the same attitude of someone selling a plane with known defects , and not disclosing........I truly hope you reap what you sow.........

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Alan Fox said:

If you are enough of a scumbag to short the next guy fuel , whether its 10 cents or ten dollars , you are a scumbag , Make any excuse you want , you re a thief.....The jails are full of innocent men , just ask any one of them...And just because its not enforced , does not make you any less of a scumbag...... This is the same attitude of someone selling a plane with known defects , and not disclosing........I truly hope you reap what you sow.........

Jersey guys sticking together.  Love it.  Oink Oink said the sow.  I hope to reap my bacon at breakfast.

This thread is classic.  Maybe the best ever.

People are strange-James Morman 

(spelled last word wrong for dramatic effect, it's a "thing). Who knew?

The fuel pumps are near my hangar and my Biplane is a royal PITA to fuel using the pumps. When the Biplane tank is full the overflow runs down the upper wing into the pilot's seat.  The pump nozzle is bad to keep flowing after it is released so the pilot's seat in the Biplane gets a good washdown when I fill it at the pumps.

Trying to mitigate this I switched to 5 gallon cans that I keep in my hangar and refill the Biplane with.  When I return from a trip in the Mooney and if no one is waiting for the pumps I'll walk down to my hangar and get my 5 gallon cans to fill after I fill the Mooney.  I have found that the leaky pump nozzle if left alone in the 5 gallon cans while I am buttoning up my Mooney will drain close to 1/2 a gallon.  I have never tried keeping the nozzle open to see how much will flow but seeing this I might do it next time just out of curiosity.

FWIW: I ALWAYS drain whatever comes out of the nozzle after the pump shuts off not because I am a CB, but because any fuel spilled on a polished Mooney is a royal B*@%!$@ch to clean up.  It always stains the polish and I have to work twice as hard to get it cleaned off.  So call me a scumbag or a CB but I refuse to pull that hose out until she's done draining because I don't want a wet spot. ;)

PS. It's all uphill to the pumps so I never drag it TO the pumps but I have been known to pull it back to my hangar.

kvujfuel.jpg

1 hour ago, Hyett6420 said:

To me it's just a pain in the rectal area to start her up, call for taxi, taxi, shutdown, fill her up and repeat the preview is process.   If I pull her then I don't need to do any of that except fill her up.  

Ah, the joys of having a hangar at a small un-towered strip with on runway and one taxiway. Startup, taxi down to the pumps, sometimes don't even turn on the avionics for the short trip. :ph34r: 

Untitled.thumb.png.c344a44f9d9d633004d9bc098be91f70.pngIt's pretty easy to see if there is traffic on the taxiway... 

On 6/7/2017 at 3:49 AM, Alan Fox said:

Calm down, Alan. The pump re-pressurizes the line before dispensing and counting, at least that's how mine is done.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Skates97 said:

Ah, the joys of having a hangar at a small un-towered strip with on runway and one taxiway. Startup, taxi down to the pumps, sometimes don't even turn on the avionics for the short trip. :ph34r: 

Untitled.thumb.png.c344a44f9d9d633004d9bc098be91f70.pngIt's pretty easy to see if there is traffic on the taxiway... 

THAT is NOT a small untowered strip! THIS is a small untowered strip (my fancy new base in AL, with full length taxiway).

20150531_142933.thumb.jpg.d2520a0975c092a517b9210c50a7c44f.jpg

Well ill tell you what, go ut your mooney in it and then try and get it out. Lol. 1574 feet exactly.  Or there are fences at both ends, then the beach and sea.  (Varying heat sources from those). Enjoy that, personally ill take the boat.   

Or you could use the tailhook method to take some speed off....like this guy :

On 6/6/2017 at 8:45 AM, Marauder said:

Has anyone ever even measured how much fuel is left in the hose? I never even though about this until some line kid at my airport mentioned it. I am just too lazy to pick up the hose. emoji38.png

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Will the girls help lift the hose for ya? :)