NOT MAKING 2700RPM ON TAKEOFF

So, here I am...run up complete, taking the active, go full power, 29" and only 2300rpm...WTF??? Abort the roll. Try it again 29" and 2450...so I launch, and she gets to 2500. 

Engine seems rough. EGTs are high. I make a turn to get back to the airport when I see that I was running on the L mag only. 

Dumbass. 

I hope that public shaming will help make me better. 

• Like 7

If the smallest nagging doubt is in the back of your mind on the roll, ABORT.

This wasn't a small nagging doubt, this was a screaming emergency.

Glad you're alive. Live and learn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Brian Scranton said:

So, here I am...run up complete, taking the active, go full power, 29" and only 2300rpm...WTF??? Abort the roll. Try it again 29" and 2450...so I launch, and she gets to 2500. 

Engine seems rough. EGTs are high. I make a turn to get back to the airport when I see that I was running on the L mag only. 

Dumbass. 

I hope that public shaming will help make me better. 

Thanks for sharing. Learning experience for you and for all of us. Glad you are ok. Let us know what you find with your investigation into this issue.

Fernando

Just now, prflyer said:

Thanks for sharing. Learning experience for you and for all of us. Glad you are ok. Let us know what you find with your investigation into this issue.

Fernando

I found that the key was on Left instead of BOTH! So, don't do that! 

• Like 5

Aborting a takeoff roll is so hard to do. Simple in thought experiment -- so much harder to implement in real life. Congratulations on your ability and implementation.

... a 150 will also take off on one mag... especially when a commercial flight is taxiing behind you and they are number 2 for takeoff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Aborting a takeoff roll is so hard to do. Simple in thought experiment -- so much harder to implement in real life. Congratulations on your ability and implementation.

... a 150 will also take off on one mag... especially when a commercial flight is taxiing behind you and they are number 2 for takeoff.

I don't think he aborted the second time :-o

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I used to end up on one mag all the time after starting when I first got my plane. I would release the key from "start" and it would spring past "both" to "left" without me noticing.  I eventually developed the motor memory not to do that.  I would only figure it out at runup when there was no drop after clicking it one notch further to the left because I was switching from left to right unintentionally and got no rpm drop.  Once I switched two clicks to the left,  thinking I was testing the right, and it quit. That time I got to learn how a backfire works too!

• Like 2

It may be time to get a new switch design...

It is near impossible to know what position it is in by looking at it.

the extreme positions for the O are off and start. Neither extreme is going to be appreciated during the T/O roll...

Somebody around here posted a new set of switches they had one for each magneto. They were either on or off, no guessing...

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam
  • Like 1

It was the mag check, first time to a Class C with lots of 737s waiting that got me too.  It's kind of like resetting the trim on a Mooney before take off.  You are extra positive about those steps on future takeoffs. 

Edited by Yetti
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, 211º said:

It really depends on what is not right.  I had the door pop open once (instructor didn't shut it right).  No problem aborting on the take off roll.   --Of course I had 5000 feet to do this.  On a 2000 foot runway, I might have thought twice.

• Like 1

It's amazing how even having a checklist in your lap is still not a guarantee--some little distraction and boom. Twas a great learning for me. I've flown 20 hours this week. I've had lots of little learnings! 

• Like 1

Just now, Brian Scranton said:

It's amazing how even having a checklist in your lap is still not a guarantee--some little distraction and boom. Twas a great learning for me. I've flown 20 hours this week. I've had lots of little learnings! 

Just now, Brian Scranton said:

We gather those as we fly on...... mostly we all survive them.  You are not alone!!!!

• Like 2

In my old 201 on run up I had one mag that was running rough and I thought it was a plug that fouled. It wouldn't clean up with leaning so I went into the local Mx shop. The mechanic convinced me it was the ignition switch but was fine for flight and to replace it when I got to my destination since coincidentally that is where the only one could be located. I took off from Phoenix and flew to San Antonio and crusing along at 11,500 and noticed my EGT's where higher than normal but my TAS and ground speed was awesome. When coming into the pattern at KSAT when I pulled back the throttle the engine would sputter and backfire. I told the tower that when I landed that I was going to need to taxi immediately to signature because I was afraid the engine was going to stall, which they let me do. Aside from the abvious safety concerns it was probably one of my most embarrassing aviation experiences I have had pulling in and having all the people that where boarding and deboarding their private jets stare at me while I was sputtering and backfiring into parking. Turns out it was a bad mag and not the ignition switch.

• Like 3

Brian,

I am going to make you feel better.  After a Major overhaul I flew with wife and kids to Racine, WI to visit family.  I had gotten a replacement plastic panel and it didn't line up with mags.  (I didn't know that at the time).  I didn't have a lot of time in the Mooney then. (About 100ish hours)?  Went to leave and did mag check and the plane kept killing on the left mag.  I taxied back and told an A&P at the field what was happening.  Repeated with him.  We pulled the mag and I drove with the mag down to Poplar Grove (where overhaul had been done) They benched it and it was perfect.  WTF?  After re-install $ for A&P to pull and re-install I realized I was shutting the plane off on the mag check.....What an idiot...

Don't you feel better?

Live and learn.

But I didn't launch ;)

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, MooneyMitch said:

OK, OK,.............I almost did a Harrison Ford and land on a taxiway [many, many long years ago].  And I have used the wrong call sign from another Mooney before......there, I said it!!!  :o

Hopefully your Mooney did not get jealous of your previous mistress when you used the wrong name -- I mean -- call sign.  :D

I really appreciate when someone takes the time to publicly admit a mistake.  I still have a lot to learn, and hopefully every time I read something like this, it saves me from eventually doing the same thing.  Thanks

• Like 3