NOT MAKING 2700RPM ON TAKEOFF

Interesting thread. I've already confessed many sins, so I'll not bore anyone with a recap. I am pretty sure my engine would make redline (or nearly) on one mag. I'm trying to figure out why it wouldn't turn at redline, especially in the thin air at Montrose.

• Like 1

One afternoon I was calibrating some new avionics. I  would land, make adjustments and takeoff again to check it. This is usually where mistakes can be made, right? I always aggressively lean during ground ops and this day  was no different. When I took off I noticed the engine just didn't sound right and I wasn't getting full power. At about 100 ft AGL I looked down and saw the mixture pulled out well over half way. Panic set in and I immediately, but smoothly, pushed the mixture to the firewall and everything resumed normal. Scared the hell out of me. Incredibly stupid; I was preoccupied with the avionics testing and not focused on my checklist. In hindsight I should've aborted the takeoff but by the time I realized something was truly not right I was lifting off. It has never happened again. Now, even after the checklist and right before advancing takeoff power I double check mixture and prop are both in. To be perfectly honest, the mixture was leaned so aggressively I can't believe it didn't sputter, die, or show more signs of a problem early on the takeoff roll. In any case...lesson learned.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Shadrach said:

Interesting thread. I've already confessed many sins, so I'll not bore anyone with a recap. I am pretty sure my engine would make redline (or nearly) on one mag. I'm trying to figure out why it wouldn't turn at redline, especially in the thin air at Montrose.

probably to rich of mixture with just 1 mag at that altitude.

35 minutes ago, kmyfm20s said:

Maybe he was already at the upper limit of FF and pressure?

Doubtful, the Bendix RSA fuel system is self adjusting based on mass airflow vs ambient.  It does not really have an "upper limit" like the Continental. At some level of mass air flow the system's capacity would be exceeded, but that is likely well beyond what an IO360 would require.  This is not to say that the servo can't malfunction.

I have lost a mag in flight with the NA version of his engine.  I felt an ever so slight change in engine smoothness (not enough for passengers or even many pilots to notice). There was no drop in RPM but there was a loss in airspeed.  EGTs immediately increased by 180-250°.

Edited by Shadrach

In my short time owning a Mooney, I've had to do 2 go arounds on bounced landings. I'm fairly short, 5'8" so I'm still getting used to the nose high sight picture on flare and landing.

Anyway, I read somewhere that a go around (and initial takeoff) should be PROP, MIXTURE, THROTTLE.. so when I did the go around, I touched each, in order, to ensure all were full forward.

Also had my first inadvertent engine shutdown on an aggressive mag check this past week. Went past the #1 mag position to off for about .0001 sec. :o Immediately turned the key back to both and restarted the mag check.

Trying to do a mag check with airplanes in line behind you got me thinking. If, in that rare case where you know you'll be holding up the line, couldn't you "ride the brakes" and do the mag check on the roll? Thoughts? 

I love the feedback of this forum. Really learning a lot about my plane and small plane flying in general.

36 minutes ago, Stetson20 said:

Trying to do a mag check with airplanes in line behind you got me thinking. If, in that rare case where you know you'll be holding up the line, couldn't you "ride the brakes" and do the mag check on the roll? Thoughts?

I don't care who is behind me, I follow a routine.  You should not be taxiing and having your head down inside the cockpit.  How long does a run up take?

On 6/7/2017 at 11:27 AM, Stetson20 said:

In my short time owning a Mooney, I've had to do 2 go arounds on bounced landings. I'm fairly short, 5'8" so I'm still getting used to the nose high sight picture on flare and landing.

Anyway, I read somewhere that a go around (and initial takeoff) should be PROP, MIXTURE, THROTTLE.. so when I did the go around, I touched each, in order, to ensure all were full forward.

Also had my first inadvertent engine shutdown on an aggressive mag check this past week. Went past the #1 mag position to off for about .0001 sec. :o Immediately turned the key back to both and restarted the mag check.

I love the feedback of this forum. Really learning a lot about my plane and small plane flying in general.

I do a control continuity test during taxi at 900-1000rpm.  I look for an EGT rise on each single mag and an RPM drop on the prop. I almost never do a "brakes locked" run up anymore.  I will also do an ignition continuity check at shutdown by killing both mags for split second before going back to both and pulling the mixture.

I do test my ignition system in flight regularly at high power settings. 

Edited by Shadrach
  • Like 1

On 6/7/2017 at 9:43 AM, Shadrach said:

I was at 1000' MSL in NY--and I had the same thought. 

Thanks for all the confessions guys. I did a BEAUTIFUL flight up the Hudson Valley yesterday at 1500 MSL--the lady looked pretty. Flying in the east is a lot of fun!!! 

IMG_0581.JPG

• Like 3

If its any concession, the early OX-6 engines in Jenny's had only one mag!

Tractors run for decades with only one mag

Our engines are designed to be able to operate on one mag

On the flip side, you proved to yourself that the engine would/could run on one mag (say you were over water and lost one, nice to know:-)

Now, at one time, a long time ago, I knew someone who forgot what the N number was of the airplane he was flying and had to open the door and lean out to see what was painted on the side of the fuselage  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cliffy said:

Now, at one time, a long time ago, I knew someone who forgot what the N number was of the airplane he was flying and had to open the door and lean out to see what was painted on the side of the fuselage  

Thanks for sharing, Cliffy.  Was it very windy? ;)

"Now, at one time, a long time ago, I knew someone who forgot what the N number was of the airplane he was flying and had to open the door and lean out to see what was painted on the side of the fuselage "

.....yikes, and that's why I keep an N number placard on the panel.  Sometimes it works, but not always. :rolleyes:

Seems the pilot was flying from a quiet uncontrolled, mostly dirt field to a big city towered airport. When he picked up the mike, to call in, it was, OOOPS what now?

Thinking fast and using all his superior piloting skills he found a solution to the problem :-)

Can we all say "Steve Canyon"? Or does that go back too far for all of ya'll?

BTW, he did take off his Ray-bans before leaning out. Everyone had to have a set of Ray-bans back then. You know, Mr. COOL PILOT ?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...