Dual mag failure

Magneto departure seems to still be a common issue despite an SB requiring new style clamps.  People still install wrong gaskets, wrong clamps, and reuse old hardware.  If installed correctly failure is rare.

Clarence

As mentioned, well known failure mode. I flew these on a Navajo through two engines, did all the mag work myself, always used new star washers any time the nut was loosened. Used proper torque. Never had a problem. Do the same today on my 2 mag engine. Any time the nut is loosened for any reason a new washer goes on, I buy them by the hundred pack! Just like spark plug washers. Cheap insurance. 

I have found mags with star washers totally flat from years of reuse.  

• Like 1

We have found a Mooney pilot that is not on MS.

If he were to join us here. He would be familiar with this situation long before this situation occurred...

Go MS!

Thanks to @aidanf for sharing the link. That wasn't you Aidan, was it? Go ahead and add some detail to your avatar when you get a chance.

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam

It was'nt me - thank goodness, as a fresh ppl I would probably not have been as smooth as this guy.

I am currently negotiating on a M20J -- so as soon as I have details I will update my avatar

Shortly after my purchase of my J in 2007 I had an oil leak which turned out to be due to a loose Dual Mag. The pre purchase inspection was done at a fairly well known shop.....and they did the 500hr Mag inspection.  My local IA fixed it and he told me about using new fixtures.

About 2 years after that I had high EGTs in cruise and that was due to loss of one Mag in flight. The guy at KGCY said one of the internal gears, which IIRC he said was plastic had failed so we got a rebuilt Dual Mag and it was not cheap. It was during the time when there was a scare that the Dual Mag would no longer be supported or something like that. I remember hIm specifically telling me about the new style clamp, and that he set it at 25deg BTDC.  Sounds like he knew what he was doing with regard to the Dual Mag and that 25 was better than 20 for performance. 

1 hour ago, Bartman said:

Shortly after my purchase of my J in 2007 I had an oil leak which turned out to be due to a loose Dual Mag. The pre purchase inspection was done at a fairly well known shop.....and they did the 500hr Mag inspection.  My local IA fixed it and he told me about using new fixtures.

About 2 years after that I had high EGTs in cruise and that was due to loss of one Mag in flight. The guy at KGCY said one of the internal gears, which IIRC he said was plastic had failed so we got a rebuilt Dual Mag and it was not cheap. It was during the time when there was a scare that the Dual Mag would no longer be supported or something like that. I remember hIm specifically telling me about the new style clamp, and that he set it at 25deg BTDC.  Sounds like he knew what he was doing with regard to the Dual Mag and that 25 was better than 20 for performance. 

25° is the only legal setting for the dual magneto.  It's optional on the other models.  A poor choice, but an option. 

I swear by my dual mag because I have a mechanic who knows how to install it so it doesnt fall off. I follow the recommended inspection schedule of 500 hours and I check the nuts that hold it on when I have the cowling off. In 2,200 hours over 19 years I have never had a mag problem. This guys point of failure was his mechanic. It had nothing to do with the mag being a 40 year old design.. Guess I am a little thin skinned about this but I dont like to see the blame misplaced on the mag when the problem was failure to follow basic maintenance procedures. 

• Like 1

We went over this subject a bit at the MAPA PPP in Chattanooga last weekend. It was an interesting part of the course and checking the mounting nuts is something I am adding to my list of things to do at oil changes. I am considering locknuts also. 

It is my understanding that all rebuilds done by Lycoming will be converted to the dual mag case.