Corrosion in fuel cap adapter

Sabremech

1 hour ago, N201MKTurbo said:

The 337 is for Major Repairs or Alterations. This is an alteration. 

The form has an and because it can be used for either one. It is on a logical slippery slope.:huh:

I don't think that form is meant for major repairs or ANY alteration.  It's for major repairs or major alterations. Major = 337 while minor is log entry. We do minor alterations to airplanes all the time with no 337.  That's how I've always understood it, anyways. 

Page 16 flow chart pretty much shows this too. 337 only needed for major alteration or major repair. https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC_43-210A.pdf

Edited by jetdriven

I was told to fill out a 337 with my data as it's an alteration to the fuel system, but that it did not require a field approval. I have also been told at IA renewal seminars by the FAA that if there's any question as to being a major or minor alteration, fill out a 337 as it's still an alteration. A 337 form does not have a place to check major or minor. They would like to see everything documented and detailed.

Edited by Sabremech

It would just seem that if a 337 is required for a major and is not for a minor, the determination is already made as to which, and that drives the decision to either make a log entry or a 337 plus log entry. Their own AC says that.

Edited by jetdriven

Just now, jetdriven said:

It would just seem that if a 337 is required for a major and is not for a minor, the determination is already made as to which, and that drives the decision to either make a log entry or a 337 plus log entry. Their own AC says that.

Jetdriven,  we can discuss this until we're blue in the face. We all know each FSDO is different in how they want things done. Mine asked for a 337 to be filled out because I altered the fuel system. No field approval required. I was happy to fill out the form and note the work in my logbook and get my airplane back in service quickly.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sabremech said:

Jetdriven,  we can discuss this until we're blue in the face. We all know each FSDO is different in how they want things done. Mine asked for a 337 to be filled out because I altered the fuel system. No field approval required. I was happy to fill out the form and note the work in my logbook and get my airplane back in service quickly.  

What or  who signs the FAA block if it's not required. 337 is a field approval. 

Im highly surprised they only think it's a minor alteration this day, but that's great!!

Glad you'll be able to get it approve-however that may be.

cool caps!!

-Matt

13 hours ago, Sabremech said:

I heard back from the FAA last week and they confirmed for me that this is a major alteration. Fill out a 337 and send it to OKC. If anyone else is interested in doing this in the future, let me know and I can share my 337 as well as provide the spacers at a minimal cost.

Thanks,

David

I updated my post from minor to major so we can put the debate to rest. 

• Like 2

My FSDO says the same thing as David's, and they repeat it at our IA renewal seminars.  Even for a minor alteration, they like to see a 337 filled out, even though it is technically not required.

Their reasoning is that the 337 becomes a RECORD of alteration that becomes a part of the aircraft's official records, which is why they also want to see things like part numbers and Instructions for Continued Airworthiness.  These instructions are recorded for future A&Ps who will be performing maintenance on the aircraft.

No FAA signature is required and that block simply remains blank.  The approval is the IA's signature.

I like this because the 337 is easy to fill out and proves to an inspector, down the line, that I wasn't trying to hide an alteration as minor when it wasn't.  It also will hopefully give a future IA who is inspecting the aircraft some peace of mind that the alteration was properly documented.

But no, it is not technically required so Byron can rest easy and not fill one out.  Hopefully I have explained why it may be in his best interest to do so anyway.

• Like 2

How do I, as a potential buyer, know that an unsigned 337 "Major Repair or Alteration" is actually for an IA-approved minor alteration and is therefore acceptable? I'm just a PP, so to me an unsigned 337 would be a problem . . . . Because at some point, my C will need to be replaced with a different airframe.