Borescope- not just for cylinders

DVA

We use the borescope extensively to look at things that would otherwise require expensive and time consuming disassembly. I also believe in Mike Busch's theory of MIF - the maintenace induced failure, using the borescope can reduce the chances of MIFs while saving owners a lot of time and money.

I thought I'd share a video borescope look at the hot section of a turbo on a M20M.

https://www.facebook.com/vanallenairmotive/videos/463022524065352/

Enjoy.

DVA

• Like 3

Am i the last guy to sign up for FB?

Dave made me do it.  It was worth it, to see what's up that pipe...

I get the feeling that some changes are coming to the industry. The installation of a couple of key inspection holes the size of a dental camera...

Dave, why is there lubricant only on one end of the shaft and not the other?

thanks for sharing the video.

Best regards,

-a- 

Edited by carusoam

Dave, why is there lubricant only on one end of the shaft and not the other?
thanks for sharing the video.
Best regards,
-a- 

Lol. I'm not taking responsibility for your new FB addiction. :-)

The picture of the wastegate is upside down due to the way the borescope entered the area. So you are seeing lubricant only on the top where the actuator connects to the valve. There is nothing to lubricate on the bottom side.
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, DVA said:

We use the borescope extensively to look at things that would otherwise require expensive and time consuming disassembly. I also believe in Mike Busch's theory of MIF - the maintenace induced failure, using the borescope can reduce the chances of MIFs while saving owners a lot of time and money.

I thought I'd share a video borescope look at the hot section of a turbo on a M20M.

https://www.facebook.com/vanallenairmotive/videos/463022524065352/

Enjoy.

DVA

Wow N9153Z gets a colonoscopy!