USB Power Ports, just makes no sense

HRM

Below are three different dual-USB power ports that could be used in a Mooney. The first is the ‘Anker’ and it plugs into the cigar lighter port ($9.99 Amazon Prime). The second is the ‘Powerwerx’ and it is hardwired in. It may not get past an IA, but might under some sort of pilot-owners mod ($23.99). The last is Appareo’s (Stratus ADS-B, etc.) power port that is TSO’d and designed to go into an aircraft panel ($357).

After looking these over, each has a pair of ports that deliver roughly 2.5 DC amps each, which is typical max charging for tablets. All have protection circuits and the Anker and Powerwerx are illuminated, the Appareo is not. The technology in all of these is not rocket science.

What I would like to know is what makes the Appareo unit so ludicrously expensive? Of course, the quick answer is that it is TSO’d. Is it really that expensive to take a product and get it’s blessing from the FAA? Is it an insurance thing, that if a plane crashes and the NTSB found that the charger had failed and the tablet wasn’t working and that it ‘might have contributed to the crash’ could get Appareo sued?

Even if you accounted for Mil Spec electronic parts and custom tooling , there is no way that adds over twenty times the cost. Just perplexed.

5932cdab25d08_USBPowerPorts.thumb.jpg.3005e26b4eccfe482021914774f873a6.jpg

• Like 1

I've been using this one. Both ports are 2.4A and it doesn't protrude from the panel but sits almost flush. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019BROSC8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The other reason for not spending the ridiculous sums that Appareo and TrueBlue demand, is that USB is quickly moving past it's prime. USB-C will be the new standard and even that will only be around for a limited time before it's replaced as well. Couple that with the installation costs and it all seems pretty silly to me.

My $12 Aukey adapter works just fine even in my 28v airplane.

BTW... There's a USB-C charging port on the face of my PMA450a and another USB charging port on the face of my IFD540. So I've got plenty of charging options in the panel.

Yes, it is expensive to get the paperwork and testing pushed through the FAA.  However, you are also paying for the testing to make sure that the charging port does not interfere with other avionics.  I used one of the plug-in versions like the one on the left in the M20E before I knew anything about these buggers and I had static in the radios and the GPS would act wonky while charging an iPad or iPhone.  Removed the cheapo USB plug from the cigarette lighter and the static went away....the only time I ever got static was when it was plugged in.

I just installed the Appareo version in the Bonanza ($295 street price) and have zero issues with interference to the audio, GTN750, or other electronics equipment in the panel. 

YMMV...

Cheers,

Brian

I bought some at Lowes a couple of years ago at Christmas. They have two ports, 1A for phones and 2.5A for tablets, with a little red light that comes on when the charger has power. One lives in the dash of my truck, pulled out slightly; when I plug into it, I push it in to charge, and when  I'm done, I unplug the cord then pull it out until the red light turns off. They were either $4.99 or $5.99.

For an aircraft part to do the same thing to be  early $400 is just crazy stupid!! That's even priced an order of magnitude higher than what Apple charges . . .

1 hour ago, flight2000 said:

Yes, it is expensive to get the paperwork and testing pushed through the FAA.  However, you are also paying for the testing to make sure that the charging port does not interfere with other avionics. 

That makes sense. My radios are so noisy I wouldn't notice any interference if there was any :P

That said, the very inexpensive units are going to have buck converters of low quality in them and they will generate noise. However, high quality units will have high quality circuits and this will not be an issue. Easy to test as well.

I am guessing that the paperwork, the application fees and then the actual testing in a lab is where the issue lies. Given the very few pilots who will buy one it further narrows the production amortization of development costs. Oh well.

The true blue device looks pretty logical.  Could be updated when the USB standard changes... Best to hide it behind an empty circular hole in the panel.  This way a complete change in size, would only require changing out a circle...

or blow 1/2 an amu on this...  https://www.aircraftspruce.com/pages/in/chronometers_midcont/mcicharger10-05774.php

really a Casio clock with two USB ports, what do they do with the 490 other dollars you give them in exchange?

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bob_Belville said:

What do you suppose, for 750 AMU do you get a built in USB charger, or four, in addition to a pilot side door?

I'd want espresso on demand.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

To be fair, it took buying 3 cheap, sub $15, units to find one that didn't generate any noise. I still think I'm money ahead.

Same here, its there if needed, use an iPad mini with most everything shut off except what is needed, can get 4-1/2 to 5 hours before needing to charge

• Like 2

I put in the True Blue TA102 USB charger a couple of years ago when I added the second iPad to the cockpit. It is the panel mount unit for a mere $377 from Aircraft Spruce. It will not charge the iPad 2 or the iPad mini. It will keep them from discharging but it does not increase the battery level, only maintains it.

I called the customer service to express my concern because their description says "Each USB port is designed to supply the electric current needed to charge any standard or high-power device with a USB interface." 

They basically blew me off. First, there is a service bulletin for a mod change. I was told it didn't effect me because my unit had the mod. Well, it turns out that my unit did not have the mod. They would not update it.

Second, they acknowledged that their charger will not keep up on "high power" devices even after I pointed out the statement above. I would not recommend one of True Blues devices based on my experience. Just because it is "certified" (TSO'd) for aviation doesn't mean it works better.......

• Like 1

I got the AUKEY Car Charger, ULTRA COMPACT Dual Port 4.8A Output for iPhone iPad as well. Got two of them.  One for the car and one for the Mooney.  Charges an iPad and my Stratus 2 just fine.

I originally went through several cigarette lighter adapters, and despite the labels, NONE of which would actually supply 2.1a or enough power to keep my ipad charged while it was on. I  then purchased a 24 V inverter (designed for cars) with cigarette lighter plug, and then plugged in my apple power adapter into the 110v output plug which works fine, but is a bit clunky. So I went for the Mid continent TA102 panel dual usb which is great and keeps ipads, phones and whatever else charged with no fuss, but it is more than the above solution. (If I recall it was around $380 plus install).

And I agree with Cruiser as mentioned above, it doesn't increase the charge on my iPad while using it with the device on, but prevents it from ever discharging which is good enough for me. My other solution (inverter plus apple charging plug) did charge while using, but not by a lot, so I like the TA102 Tru Blu as its much neater in cockpit organization.

https://www.truebluepowerusa.com/ta102/

Edited by JohnB
  • Like 1

I used one similar to the one on the left.  I had an issue with it "moving" in the socket and losing contact with the base.  I run into similar issues with the icebox cooler cigarette lighter plug.  I don't know if it's a weird cigarette lighter socket; a lot may have changed since 1965.  lol.  Anyway, I have a pma450 with a usb slot, and it's been a Godsend.

RB,

Amazing news... the cigarette lighter has changed since 1965. The internal structure makes it difficult to make contact with some things... I have the old one sitting on a shelf in my office...

Take s look at this thing if you are thinking about swapping out your Liter... (spelling on the device itself)

https://www.guardianavionics.com/Guardian-Avionics-Introduces-Dual-21-Amp-USB-Power-Port-Replacement-for-Standard-12v-Cigarette-Lighter-Socket-for-Certified-Part-23-27-and-29-Aircraft-Rotorcraft_b_9.html

I saw it while looking for...

clock, carbon-monoxide, and USB in one. They have all of these, But was unable to find this all in one.

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam

Not to beat this to death or anything, but MyGoFlight has a Rapid Charger DualMicro 28V cigar lighter plug-in that addresses all of the issues raised about the idea of in-panel USB.

• Works with 12 and 24 VDC systems.

• 2.4 DCA output, both sockets.

• "Tested to not interfere with on-board radios and navigation equipment"

• Has a small blue LED pilot light.

So, Appareo puts this exact same thing, sans pilot light, in a plastic case sized to go in your panel and adds .330 AMU to the cost?

As an aside, why are pilot lights called "pilot lights." I mean in this case it is a light to let the pilot know that the unit is powered.