3 minutes ago, jetdriven said:

I do not see how those things add any speed, they only seal up about 4 in.² of area between the elevator and the stab so there is some leakage drag prevented there but the real question I have is what is it doing to the rudder.  because there’s no pressure differential over the rudder and fin so what exactly are you sealing against. 

Byron, 

I had the same thought ... Those came as part of the flap & aileron gap seal STC ... so we put them on to follow the STC. They surely didn’t hurt anything! Who knows? I’ve heard that the gap seals help in the climb more than in cruise?

Bob Kroemer said a couple years ago at the Mooney Summit that his opinion was that most of the fairing mods are more cosmetic ... and that the retractable versus fixed step was maybe 1/2 knot difference ...

The prevailing opinion seems to be that the Cowl and Windshield mods are the ones that may be worthwhile.

I think when we replaced our windshield - removing that big FAT Gauge sensor sticking out of the old windshield (we already had another with the JPI) and removing the old Loran (and) antenna had to help just a little? Also the C-Fs have this huge “cup” where the landing light is located in the front of the cowl - putting a lens/cover over that opening had to help at least a little? 

Edited by David Herman
  • Like 1

*Members that donate $10 or more do not see advertisements*

Idk what they help wirh. They help wirh the cool looking factor so there’s that. Same as the wing roots. We simply put them on to look like a badass. Everyone is looking at them, can’t take their eyes off them, like the Pinstripes on the Yankees uniforms. 

• Like 1

“Sure honey, you can bring those bags too! ... What? Will the weight slow us down? Of course not dear ... more baggage makes us faster!” :D

My 67F with the lopresti cowl will cruise in the yellow at 5000ft when it’s cool outside, but my rocket can cover more ground while climbing to 24000ft at over 1000fpm at the same time. 

• Like 2

FWIW ... another thing Bob Kroemer mentioned at the Mooney Summit a few years back ... was that waxing ... (at least the leading 1/3 of the wings) is usually good for 2 knots ... it’s why I mention wax in my earlier post ... fwiw

54 minutes ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

Bob speaks the truth. Go to the following link and then click on the "Wax Effects on Drag" article. 

Jim

https://cafe.foundation/v2/research_reports.php

Oh ... I believed him. I went home and waxed our airplane! 

That article documents a M20E getting a 3 knot increase after wax !!!! Whooo hooo!!!

11 hours ago, Antares said:

My 67F with the lopresti cowl will cruise in the yellow at 5000ft when it’s cool outside, but my rocket can cover more ground while climbing to 24000ft at over 1000fpm at the same time. 

Show boat. Is that K a VINTAGE MOONEY???:o (A Rocket would be my “dream Mooney” ... ya I have airplane envy)

Edited by David Herman

On 6/1/2017 at 8:42 PM, Wildhorsesracing said:

Everybody knows that naked Mooneys are the fastest... ;)

afta.jpg

Yo “Skippy” ... I’m not asking Bob Kroemer at the next summit if “naked Mooneys” are faster. I’ll leave that question to you !!!  :D

(Most everyone already thinks I’m missing a few marbles ... no use to further the perception .... )

fly safe brother 

Edited by David Herman

believe it or not polished metal is the fastest airplane, all else considered. Even faster than the shiniest paint. Carefully profiled, painted wings are a close second. A&M did a study on a 231 back in the 80s that showed this. Unfortunately the prop torquemeter was giving bad data and they geared up the plane too but they had enough to figure it out. 

Edited by jetdriven

47 minutes ago, jetdriven said:

believe it or not polished metal is the fastest airplane, all else considered. Even faster than the shiniest paint. Carefully profiled, painted wings are a close second. A&M did a study on a 231 back in the 80s that showed this. Unfortunately the prop torquemeter was giving bad data and they geared up the plane too but they had enough to figure it out. 

I kinda wondered ... joking aside ...

Was it Texas A & M? How many aggies does it take to remember to put the gear down? (Snicker) 

Edited by David Herman
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, Bob_Belville said:

Is that bare aluminum or is there a clear coat? corrosion issues?

Polished aluminum - it has a thick coat of waterproof polish on it.  It does get yellowish dull after a year but can easily be brought back.  So far no corrosion issues, but I also keep it in a hangar.

20170817_101655.jpg

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Wildhorsesracing said:

Polished aluminum - it has a thick coat of waterproof polish on it.  It does get yellowish dull after a year but can easily be brought back.  So far no corrosion issues, but I also keep it in a hangar.

If you're polishing the aluminum, it does increase the corrosion resistance by reducing the exposed surface area.  If the aluminum cladding is still there, it also literally moves around some of the aluminum to cover up any thinner spots.

• Like 1

On 6/13/2018 at 9:46 PM, Antares said:

Wish you would post pictures of both.  I see an E on controller with the LoPresti Cowl.  I would thin the E with the Cowl and other mods would take the cake for speed test (Lo Presti Speed Cowl Wing Tip Farings Tail Root Faring 201 Windscreen 201 Spinner ETC) https://www.controller.com/listings/aircraft/for-sale/26231033/1974-mooney-m20e-chapparal 

I would consider the LoPresti myself but they say "NO TURBO" and my 76F has the RayJay Turbo. (that and the budget :) )

This picture doesn’t really do it justice, but I snapped it earlier today. The plane looks really good in person. 

69EDA2D6-6F3F-4664-BFD4-404693712A33.jpeg

EA9CB969-89B2-4797-AA4A-8048F5A36D25.jpeg

• Like 2

2 items to add-

If you polish aluminum and wipe it clean. if you then go over it with a soft towel and plain old all purpose flour sprinkles on, it takes off every last bit of residual "black goo" left behind by the polishing compound.

When I wax my D/C "I" get 10 more knots :-) :-) :-)

I’ve also heard cornstarch for spinners.  Shines them up the best 

Edited by jetdriven

36 minutes ago, David Herman said:

And here I spent all that $$ on California Chrome products ...:(

But we KNOW it works!

That brings up another thought :-) :-)

Show me any "FAA approved" method to chrome a spinner?  There isn't one to my knowledge.

I once knew an FAA type who would ding every chromed spinner he saw for non-compliance to the TC without any supporting paper work showing the "approved" method for same. 

Just like polished props. No manufacturer of props has any approval for polishing for a final finish They all use some sort of protective coating.

Yes, some FAA types are that anal!  Always have been, always will.  It all goes back to "maintaining as the manufacturer says to do it".

5 hours ago, cliffy said:

Show me any "FAA approved" method to chrome a spinner?  There isn't one to my knowledge.

I once knew an FAA type who would ding every chromed spinner he saw for non-compliance to the TC without any supporting paper work showing the "approved" method for same. 

Just like polished props. No manufacturer of props has any approval for polishing for a final finish They all use some sort of protective coating.

Yes, some FAA types are that anal!  Always have been, always will.  It all goes back to "maintaining as the manufacturer says to do it".

Mine isn't chromed, it is bare aluminum and we did a complete new W&B based on the lack of paint. And just like folks polish the paint on their planes, I simply polish bare metal.

5 hours ago, cliffy said:

Yep, my spinner is polished aluminum, too. California Gold works better, faster and much easier than Mothers:

20150110_150920.thumb.jpg.966bbad46ddc1d566e4fd9d6b5a65d97.jpg

It also works well on chrome:

20150321_163749.thumb.jpg.dc99113102a702b024867f25151e8caa.jpg

So no need to fear the ramp checks that I've never experienced. 

Edited by Hank

17 hours ago, Antares said:

This picture doesn’t really do it justice, but I snapped it earlier today. The plane looks really good in person. 

69EDA2D6-6F3F-4664-BFD4-404693712A33.jpeg

EA9CB969-89B2-4797-AA4A-8048F5A36D25.jpeg

NICE!  You should add them in your albums.  I personally like the LoPresti option on the F's. 

Mine is polished aluminum also  Never had paint When I finish a touch up I use flour to final clean it.