Moose, put some of that data in your avatar!

easier to remember you with...

Thinking of my own needs of course.  :)

Best regards,

-a-

*Members that donate $10 or more do not see advertisements*

ARI cowl mod, flap gap, brake rotation, dorsal mod...201 windsheild is next.   IMG_0943.thumb.JPG.18451ebeaa1b044d477954f8839fa68e.JPG

• Like 1

23 hours ago, 63-C- said:

ARI cowl mod, flap gap, brake rotation, dorsal mod...201 windsheild is next.   IMG_0943.thumb.JPG.18451ebeaa1b044d477954f8839fa68e.JPG

What does the 55mph designate, bottom right corner?

2 hours ago, Mcstealth said:

What does the 55mph designate, bottom right corner?

Dan says crosswind . . . But I thought the two spots at the top, 25 mph and 100, was the wind. So I'm confused.

I also can't tell tell for sure, but it looks like he's in a slight descent. Never have liked the disappearing VSI on the TV screens, I like looking at mine, to confirm I'm still level if nothing else. 

Dan says crosswind . . . But I thought the two spots at the top, 25 mph and 100, was the wind. So I'm confused.
I also can't tell tell for sure, but it looks like he's in a slight descent. Never have liked the disappearing VSI on the TV screens, I like looking at mine, to confirm I'm still level if nothing else. 

He is in a slight descent. The VSI indicator shows up when the vertical speed is greater than 100' descent or climb.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

57.JPG.9acb98e511613ff578d06838eb13a59b.JPG

Depending on the time of travel, flying from the west eastward over the Guadeloupe mountains can yield incredible ground speeds. I flew an angel flight in the Ovation from Dona Ana county to Midland air park at about 230 kts over the ground, 50 kt tailwind at 11,000'. That's a little north of the V198 radial but same zip code. Where are you based out of Traveler?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 6/15/2017 at 10:54 PM, bgpilot1 said:

I've heard that the 67 M20F models are faster than 68 models due to more flush rivets.  Anyone else heard this? 

With the 1 piece windshield and gap seals I typically see around 155 kts true in my 1967 M20F. 

Funny I see similar speeds closer to 160KTS at cruise! 

Hows your new 252?

The Aspen simply parrots IAS and applies its formula to derive TAS, but its still reporting ther IAS 2-3 MPH fast at altitude. Theres a chart in the POH. Given that TAS is  usually more than IAS, the TAS error on the Aspen screen could be 4 MPH high.  Which is significant. Also, an open alternate static is good for a solid 5 MPH IAS and Aspen TAS as well.

2 minutes ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

Save your money and pass on the flap hinge covers. Mooney removed them as one of their modifications for the Type S Acclaim.  They don't age particularly well and have been known to trap water and cause corrosion, and I think they might actually add drag. 

Agreed. Strictly speaking a fully modified E should be the fastest.

I pulled mine off at Blue's suggestion.  For the reasons stated.

19 minutes ago, David Herman said:

I would guess an E with: 201windshield/ Cowl mod, landing light lens cover, gaps seals, hinge covers, vertical and horizon tail fairings, wing root fairings, caliper reversal, wheel-well liners, antennas hidden in wingtips or dorsal fairing, PowerFlow Exhaust, and Electronic Ingnition ... with proper rigging and gear door adjustments ... and some wax ... would be the winner?

Well, I have not buried the antennae and I have 2 mags... otherwise I'm good with your xmas list, along with the the SabreCowl and new paint.

In a week or two we'll see what a 3 heading GPS test yields  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, David Herman said:

We use 2400 ... two reasons ...

1) it’s quieter than 2500;

2) we did the dynamic prop balance at 2400 ... it might be marginally smoother than 2500?

I use 2300 down low (<4000); mid altitudes I run 2400; and cruise high at 2500 (when full MP <= 21"). Your E can probably run 2500 up to 23" or 24", I'm not sure of the Key Number for the IO-360s.

7 hours ago, David Herman said:

I didn’t think the hinge covers were on my list ... but I looked and I did put them on there ... ya ... I should take them off the list ... thanks

UPDATED: FWIW ... “The hinge covers” I mention are NOT flap hinge covers ... they are the “rudder / elevator hinge covers” that come with the flap/aileron gap seal STCs ... I’ll edit to clarify 

I do not see how those things add any speed, they only seal up about 4 in.² of area between the elevator and the stab so there is some leakage drag prevented there but the real question I have is what is it doing to the rudder.  because there’s no pressure differential over the rudder and fin so what exactly are you sealing against. 

45 minutes ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

We IO operators don't have to mess with key numbers, Hank. Just fuel flow. :)

I’ll share my key number. Black knob 100%. Blue knob 2500 rpm. And red knob  20 LOP.  

So 100-2500-20

The fuel flow part of my engine monitor just took a permanent vacation so it doesn’t work at all. But after a few trips and going to Pagosa Springs, the Bahamas, and DC and everything else my wife is continually amazed that After a 5 hour flight I can determine the fuel on board to the nearest half a gallon but each tank to the nearest .3-.5. 

Edited by jetdriven
  • Like 2

Idk what they help wirh. They help wirh the cool looking factor so there’s that. Same as the wing roots. We simply put them on to look like a badass. Everyone is looking at them, can’t take their eyes off them, like the Pinstripes on the Yankees uniforms. 

• Like 1

My 67F with the lopresti cowl will cruise in the yellow at 5000ft when it’s cool outside, but my rocket can cover more ground while climbing to 24000ft at over 1000fpm at the same time. 

• Like 2

believe it or not polished metal is the fastest airplane, all else considered. Even faster than the shiniest paint. Carefully profiled, painted wings are a close second. A&M did a study on a 231 back in the 80s that showed this. Unfortunately the prop torquemeter was giving bad data and they geared up the plane too but they had enough to figure it out. 

Edited by jetdriven

45 minutes ago, Bob_Belville said:

Is that bare aluminum or is there a clear coat? corrosion issues?

Polished aluminum - it has a thick coat of waterproof polish on it.  It does get yellowish dull after a year but can easily be brought back.  So far no corrosion issues, but I also keep it in a hangar.

20170817_101655.jpg

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Wildhorsesracing said:

Polished aluminum - it has a thick coat of waterproof polish on it.  It does get yellowish dull after a year but can easily be brought back.  So far no corrosion issues, but I also keep it in a hangar.

If you're polishing the aluminum, it does increase the corrosion resistance by reducing the exposed surface area.  If the aluminum cladding is still there, it also literally moves around some of the aluminum to cover up any thinner spots.

• Like 1

On 6/13/2018 at 9:46 PM, Antares said:

My 67F with the lopresti cowl will cruise in the yellow at 5000ft when it’s cool outside, but my rocket can cover more ground while climbing to 24000ft at over 1000fpm at the same time. 

Wish you would post pictures of both.  I see an E on controller with the LoPresti Cowl.  I would thin the E with the Cowl and other mods would take the cake for speed test (Lo Presti Speed Cowl Wing Tip Farings Tail Root Faring 201 Windscreen 201 Spinner ETC) https://www.controller.com/listings/aircraft/for-sale/26231033/1974-mooney-m20e-chapparal 

I would consider the LoPresti myself but they say "NO TURBO" and my 76F has the RayJay Turbo. (that and the budget :) )