Who has the fastest pre-J and what modifications have been done to achieve this feat?

Pat 

*Members that donate $10 or more do not see advertisements*

I don't think anyone here cares about how fast our Mooney is. We just like to have plenty of elbow room, useful load, and nice paint.

IMG_20160425_114606136.jpg

N943RW 20140519 9500 ROP 70 percent 158k .jpg

• Like 7

Mine is the fastest in my fondest dreams      mach 3!  :D

Otherwise it is as fast as it goes and while faster usually is better mine works for me.:)

• Like 3

18,000' steep dive.  I have a precisely calculated wing removal option which increases my airspeed significantly.  Unfortunately I can only use this feature once and I'm saving it for a special occasion.

• Like 8

17 hours ago, Bob_Belville said:

I don't think anyone here cares about how fast our Mooney is. We just like to have plenty of elbow room, useful load, and nice paint.

I really like you panel.  Great job, but I love the quote

• Like 1

Retractable step, cigar lighter, and RayJay for 165kts. 

N6XM was a 153 knot TAS M20C until it's untimely demise. It was carrying every LASAR speed mod available for a C including the tie down rings, and good paint. It looked like a short M20J. It also had the calipers reversed and the gear doors were nice and tight.

My only concern, is that my pre-J just looks fast sitting on the ground...................and, it does!!!!:P

P.S.  And, I'm quite sure it will look even faster once new interior is finished and installed [someday soon, I hope!].

IMG_1443.JPG

• Like 4

I just got my 65 E back from its annual and it feels slower :/ the shop did some work to the cowling that I think added 10-15 pounds to the nose, totally changed landing characteristics too. 

I was cruising about 150 TAS at 11 GPH at 9k yesterday with the prop running 2400. 

Bob - do you usually run at over 2500RPMs? I guess I've always pulled back to 2400 for no real reason that I can remember. Just remember it being standard. 

22 hours ago, Bob_Belville said:

My God that's a beautiful panel....

• Like 1

Just now, apprentibidouille said:

Your first post is a pretty good one! You obviously have great taste. :rolleyes:

Tell us about yourself and your Mooney connection, Apprentibidouille. preferable by editing your profile.

20 minutes ago, highlowfastslow said:

I just got my 65 E back from its annual and it feels slower :/ the shop did some work to the cowling that I think added 10-15 pounds to the nose, totally changed landing characteristics too. 

I was cruising about 150 TAS at 11 GPH at 9k yesterday with the prop running 2400. 

Bob - do you usually run at over 2500RPMs? I guess I've always pulled back to 2400 for no real reason that I can remember. Just remember it being standard. 

I was taught 2500 rpm and full throttle in cruise for it to be happiest. Over noise sensitive areas (hi, Santa Monica NIMBYs), I pull to 2500 for climb, too, a few hundred feet AGL. I usually get ground speeds in the 145-155 knot range, up to about 8500'. No mods, vanilla "E"

24 minutes ago, highlowfastslow said:

I have a Hartzell Scimitar Top Prop. This engine prop combination has a different tach red zone from the original set up for most Es. My placard is RPM between 2350 and 2550 is not permitted for MAP greater than 24". So... even though I normally fly at altitudes above 6000' where MAP is below 24" and the RPM restriction is not applicable I am in the habit of either staying at 2550 or pulling back to 2350. The engine seems to like 2550 better so 2350 is only for maximum range missions or slow flight sight seeing.\

I have David Clark ONE-X headsets so a noisy PFS and more engine noise is not a factor. :o

I started flying M20Es in 1969. At that time we were taught to pull back to 25 square for climb and to never, never, ever run over square. Times have change. I now climb at full throttle & ~ 2650 and as I climb I lean to roughly 250F ROP. At 8000'-10,000' or so I either run 75 ROP or 30+ LOP depending upon whether I need maximum range. Running LOP I shoot for 8.2 GPH and can go close to 5 hours plus IFR reserves with my 54 gallon bladders. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Bob_Belville said:

Your first post is a pretty good one! You obviously have great taste. :rolleyes:

Tell us about yourself and your Mooney connection, Apprentibidouille. preferable by editing your profile.

You're right, I added some info on my profile. My connection to Mooney can be summarized by lurking on here and trade-a-plane and gathering knowledge for now haha, so I don't have much to bring to this group unfortunately... I was in awe of that picture though, so I had to say something...

• Like 3

I know mine is not the fastest but actually hit over 200 kts ground speed on this trip.  Of course at that altitude had almost a 50 kt tail wind.  Makes for a fast trip when the wind is in your favor.

IMG_0680.JPG

Edited by wcb

On 6/1/2017 at 5:32 PM, Bob_Belville said:

Nice orderly panel ! Congrats !  Where did you get that RPM-MAP alarm on top of the EFIS  ?

Your ASI says you're only doing 140ktas :P

Bob, with such an ergonomic and un-clustered panel, I'm curious if it were possible to switch the prop and mixture levers places? Maybe you're used to it, the way it originally came. But is it legal/possible to swap them?

Also, can you share what your EGT ROP is for this setting?

29 minutes ago, Alain B said:

Nice orderly panel ! Congrats !  Where did you get that RPM-MAP alarm on top of the EFIS  ?

It is part of the JPI EDM 930 installation and required if the 930 is beyond a certain distance from the pilot's scan.

You obviously have great taste. :rolleyes:

Obviously Bob the new guy hasn't gotten to all the posts yet.

"Mooney, Mooney in the hangar, who has the prettiest panel of them all?"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

39 minutes ago, 201er said:

Your ASI says you're only doing 140ktas :P

Bob, with such an ergonomic and un-clustered panel, I'm curious if it were possible to switch the prop and mixture levers places? Maybe you're used to it, the way it originally came. But is it legal/possible to swap them?

Also, can you share what your EGT ROP is for this setting?

Mike,

• Huh? The Aspen ASI is showing 135.5 kias at 9520'. I'd have to get out my trusty E6B for 9520 and +5C but I suspect it will come out 158 ktas. (The backup ASI looks like it is showing 133 IAS but the TAS window has not set for alt/temp.) 
  • I probably could have and maybe should have swapped the prop/mixture positions and I considered it when I replaced both a couple of years ago but the labels were too pretty to mess with. And I've flown too many hours with what is no longer a standard layout and I like having the mixture closer to me.
  • I went back to the Savvy file of that flight. I think I was pretty close to peak. #1 peaked at 1451F and was showing 1438F when I took the pic.

8 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Obviously Bob the new guy hasn't gotten to all the posts yet.

"Mooney, Mooney in the hangar, who has the prettiest panel of them all?"

Oh my dear friend B26! I have been admiring the latest permutation of your toys. I very much approve with the latest cleanup. One or two more tweaks and I think you'll have it! (I'm curious, how many avionics shops have taken a crack at satisfying your whims?)